• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

APN or CLSO - What to accept ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dylan View Post
    I'm quite happily fighting my corner for a significantly higher amount, and would wager I am further along the causing hassle to HMRC route than you are, but personally for the sake of such a small amount I'd just move on. Having principles is all well and good but why would you make your own life difficult or more stressful for such a tiny sum? If someone said to me they would give me 4k for what I perceive to be a fair amount of hassle I would decline, I value my own time far higher than that.

Your view is different and that is fine but me having a pragmatic view on my effort / stress v money is very different to "not standing up for anything". It is less than a decent pushbike ffs, hardly life changing sums of money, would you resist out of principle for £5 too? If so then good on you, but I'd just pay the fiver and not have to worry about it again.
    Agreed. Everyone will get bent over in the end. Might aswell pay up and move on. Standing up to principles is fine but when you are left with a wrecked marriage or bankruptcy because of that then its more appealing to take the butthurt now.

Comment

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
      Yes, I would resist out of principle for £5 too. If some thug (I'm not talking someone who is genuinely in need) walks up to you and simply demands £5 "or else", are you cool with it? My view is that as far stress and damage are concerned, these have already been done by this whole bullying. "Paying up" will not give me any of that lost time and peace of mind back.
      Then again, I appreciate everyone is different, and for some who are able to suppress feelings of having been wronged, it might be liberating. For me, only justice and reparation can.
      I am not judging, just sharing my perspective.
      I agree...to be derided and vilified for doing nothing wrong, lets not forget it's HMRC who moved the goalposts, I would stand my ground on principle.
      http://www.dotas-scandal.org LCAG Join Us

Comment

So... what would you guys do in this situation:

Settlement calc = £9k (incl £2k interest)

APN = £3k (I can't work out how it's so much lower than the settlement calc)

Surely a no brainer for the APN?

Comment

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post

Paying the APN does not settle your tax affairs. If the APN is for less than the settlement offer , they are highly likely to demand the difference when you "accept their position" and settle. (which is not actioned when you pay the APN)

Comment

Is there *any* way to truly be done with it though? I remember reading a lot of posts saying that even with CLSO Hector might still come chasing for NIC, IHT, etc in the future?

Comment

Is there *any* way to truly be done with it though? I remember reading a lot of posts saying that even with CLSO Hector might still come chasing for NIC, IHT, etc in the future?
              No, not at this time. That's why this "settlement" is a scam.
              Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

APN

Originally posted by chr16v View Post
                Paying the APN does not settle your tax affairs. If the APN is for less than the settlement offer , they are highly likely to demand the difference when you "accept their position" and settle. (which is not actioned when you pay the APN)
                Yes, they might, on the other hand it is likely to be parked until it goes to court which HMRC have no incentive to do. So I think it's a nobrainer to just pay the APN.

Comment

APN definately. If you're worried about interest being applied to the difference then maybe consider a CTD.

Comment

Originally posted by flyinghaggis View Post
                    APN definately. If you're worried about interest being applied to the difference then maybe consider a CTD.
                    AAARGGGHHH

Paying an APN DOES NOT settle the matter.

The APN is just a payment on account. The final bill might be higher or lower.

You'll only know the final bill if

a. You settle via CLSO taking a chance on uncertain outcomes
                    b. you reach a negotiated final settlement with HMRC
                    c. Your scheme (or a very similar one) is heard in Court and a judge gives a final decision.

The above options have been debated as to relative merit, cost and timing, ad nauseum on these threads.

I repeat though.

If you pay the APN "because it's lower", chances are you'll get another and/or you'll get a final bill some time in the future to include interest etc.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
                      AAARGGGHHH

Paying an APN DOES NOT settle the matter.

The APN is just a payment on account. The final bill might be higher or lower.
                      I'm sorry, where do I say that it settles the matter? I was merely pointing out that in a case where the APN is less that what the final amount is likely to be that a CTD for the difference is worth looking at to stop interest accruing.

Comment

Working...
                      X