• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Rangers Tax Case

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rangers Tax Case

If you are interested, a blogger is at the hearing and blogging notes.

HMRC vs MGH | The Scottish Football Monitor

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
    If you are interested, a blogger is at the hearing and blogging notes.

HMRC vs MGH | The Scottish Football Monitor
    Interesting. Thanks for the link!
    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Reading between the lines, I think the scheduled four day hearing only took two days. The Lords have said that it will be a while before the judgement comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Not Losing Any Sleep View Post
        Reading between the lines, I think the scheduled four day hearing only took two days. The Lords have said that it will be a while before the judgement comes out.
        If true that would surely mean HMRC lost again. If the decision was going to be overturned then I would expect it to take the full 4 days.

A rangers win again making it 3-1 in their favour would be a huge kick in the teeth for HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by WalterWhite View Post
          If true that would surely mean HMRC lost again. If the decision was going to be overturned then I would expect it to take the full 4 days.

A rangers win again making it 3-1 in their favour would be a huge kick in the teeth for HMRC
          Sorry to disagree, but there is no correlation between time in Court, time to decision and the outcome of the decision.

If the blogger is accurate then my OPINION is that HMRC has not managed to turn the decision around.

however, this is tax and the detail is important. We will have to wait and see.

Being a cynical type I would suggest that HMRC will do their utmost to keep the decision outstanding beyond the alleged CLSO final date of 30th September.

I can think of no way to legally force a decision BEFORE that date without a potentially expensive JR.

If you have CLSO calculations, I would RECOMMEND waiting until the last possible moment and preferably extending that moment with a reasonable challenge.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
            Sorry to disagree, but there is no correlation between time in Court, time to decision and the outcome of the decision.

If the blogger is accurate then my OPINION is that HMRC has not managed to turn the decision around.

however, this is tax and the detail is important. We will have to wait and see.

Being a cynical type I would suggest that HMRC will do their utmost to keep the decision outstanding beyond the alleged CLSO final date of 30th September.

I can think of no way to legally force a decision BEFORE that date without a potentially expensive JR.

If you have CLSO calculations, I would RECOMMEND waiting until the last possible moment and preferably extending that moment with a reasonable challenge.
            Can you provide a little clarification:

(1) How can HMRC delay a court decision - is the court not independent ?
            (2) Why would HMRC prefer to have the decision after the CLSO final date ?
            "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
              Can you provide a little clarification:

(1) How can HMRC delay a court decision - is the court not independent ?
              (2) Why would HMRC prefer to have the decision after the CLSO final date ?
              The first, I have no idea I wouldn't have thought it possible either.

The second, I would say that if this is found against them, well then they have a high profile case that has gone all the way to the top and lost. Means people are more likely to chance their arm rather than settle.

Comment

Originally posted by Underbase View Post
                The first, I have no idea I wouldn't have thought it possible either.

The second, I would say that if this is found against them, well then they have a high profile case that has gone all the way to the top and lost. Means people are more likely to chance their arm rather than settle.
                I bet it won't stop them appealing to go to the European Court though, just to drag matters out further !
                STRENGTH - "A river cuts through rock not because of its power, but its persistence"

Comment

Originally posted by regron View Post
                  I bet it won't stop them appealing to go to the European Court though, just to drag matters out further !
                  Not sure that the UK Government would want to be seen going to the EU court against British people at the moment, that might be a step to far for some of those back bench torries. Might be the push we need.

Comment

Originally posted by Underbase View Post
                    Not sure that the UK Government would want to be seen going to the EU court against British people at the moment, that might be a step to far for some of those back bench torries. Might be the push we need.
                    Not sure if regron was serious or joking, but I don't think they can do such a thing. The court in question is the EC of Human Rights... Not sure what "human right" HMRC could argue has been broken in their case.
                    Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Working...
                    X