• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bedouin/Redstone/Edge - whoever they are called now

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOTAS RIP

Originally posted by DotasScandal View Post
    Maybe because it provides HMRC a seemingly endless supply of people from whom to subsequently "extract" by way of APNs funds that they know they are not entitled to.
    There, deficit patched.
    They won't be issuing many APNs for 2015/16 and beyond. APNs have killed off DOTAS. No promoter is going to disclose anymore.

APNs were basically just a one-off smash and grab.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      They won't be issuing many APNs for 2015/16 and beyond. APNs have killed off DOTAS. No promoter is going to disclose anymore.

APNs were basically just a one-off smash and grab.
      Wait until they reveal in the budget (not long to wait now) that the APN regime is being extended to non-DOTAS cases of suspected tax avoidance, where for example (hint, hint) a notice of assessment has been sent.
      Not a one-off.
      Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

Wait until they reveal in the budget (not long to wait now) that the APN regime is being extended to non-DOTAS cases of suspected tax avoidance, where for example (hint, hint) a notice of assessment has been sent.
        Not a one-off.
        Possible, I suppose, but unlikely.

In any case, if they were going to clobber non-DOTAS schemes, they'd probably wait 10 years and do it retrospectively.

Comment

Possible, I suppose, but unlikely.
          In any case, if they were going to clobber non-DOTAS schemes, they'd probably wait 10 years and do it retrospectively.
          What do the bookies say?
          I certainly wouldn't put it past Osborne to go full retard with APNs and proclaim the deficit has been patched (on the basis of projected/made-up yield figures)
          Personally I think it's very likely.
          We shall see soon.
          Help preserve the right to be a contractor in the UK

Comment

What do the bookies say?
            I certainly wouldn't put it past Osborne to go full retard with APNs and proclaim the deficit has been patched (on the basis of projected/made-up yield figures)
            Personally I think it's very likely.
            We shall see soon.
            It's just dawned on me that it's not necessary to extend the APN regime to deal with non-DOTAS schemes.

They can use the existing GAAR to clobber them. See Condition C, point 3.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post2214980
            Last edited by DonkeyRhubarb; 3 March 2016, 08:06.

Comment

It's just dawned on me that it's not necessary to extend the APN regime to deal with non-DOTAS schemes.

They can use the existing GAAR to clobber them. See Condition C, point 3.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/hmrc-...ml#post2214980
              It's possible but GAAR comes with all sorts of "safeguards" and will be challenged very hard. Pretty sure that the first one up in the slot (or the first that is advertised) HMRC will want to be a "win". Not sure that a scheme that is one we see here is suitable?
              Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Commercial Loan - Redstone

Anyone been sent letter from HMRC regarding the commercial loan based scheme that Redstone offered post the demise of the EBT schemes.

Post EBTs - it all starts again. Can't handle another two years or more of this after EBTs. Any groups being formed for this scheme and how best to move forward?. I'm now literally broke and not sure how I'll get through this one ;( .

Redstone still promoting the scheme so would almost seem that HMRC are in cahoots with the likes of Redstone to reeling them in and then sting them in the future after all the reassurances we're give.

Any help will be much appreciated.

Comment

Help! Bedouin ex contractor HMRC

Hi, I've just been sent letter from HMRC regarding tax owed from time as contractor with Bedouin 2011/2012. From these threads can see they are now called Redstone? Has anyone had same letter(s) and how have Bedouin / Redstone reacted?

Comment

Originally posted by angryexcontractor View Post
                    Hi, I've just been sent letter from HMRC regarding tax owed from time as contractor with Bedouin 2011/2012. From these threads can see they are now called Redstone? Has anyone had same letter(s) and how have Bedouin / Redstone reacted?
                    If that "letter" is a discovery assessment, check it carefully as it may be out of date.
                    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

What's the expiry date of such a letter ? I have had a nasty brown letter through my door also for 11-12.

Comment

Working...
                      X