• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BIG GROUP

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Collapse
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runster
    replied
    Originally posted by ConfusedEasily View Post
    You should probably clarify what you mean here Graham - as far as I can see BG does 'come clean' with HMRC insofar as you deal with them honestly and openly.
    I think what you mean by 'coming clean' is agreeing with HMRC's analysis.
    My wife is very emotional at the moment (as are many others' wives / husbands who find themselves in the good ship Loan Charge, I'm sure). What she means by 'come clean', I think, is that I should tell HMRC the facts and settle my liability and be done with it. She's very Catholic in her outlook. But in my view, the promoters and agencies etc. who profited, share the liability, but HMRC is taking the line of least resistance, taking on individuals caught up in it. Well, my view (which I intend to convince my wife is valid) is that BG is not hiding anything from HMRC, far from it, and will 'come clean' in term of disclosure, but will seek to limit contractor's liability to a fair share, and if HMRC want to go after the promoters for their share of the liability, I for one would be delighted, but that's up to them. I'm happy to pay some back tax (maybe from when the legislation got Royal assent, for example) but I am not paying the promoters' liability 'cos HMRC can't or won't pursue them.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Yes, thanks - context is all.

My assumption was that the poster and his family were looking for a degree of finality and at the moment, lacking though it is in important ways, the HMRC offer is the best route to that.

We have meetings with HMRC regularly and discuss the position on schemes and share what we know, accept that we may not know some things and how the law - as written - applies.

At the moment, it's fair to say that HMRC has a view on the written law that is sometimes difficult to reconcile with the facts and the law. Their habit of thinking one thing whilst the law says another is hard to break.

Leave a comment:

• ConfusedEasily
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    "Not coming clean"?

If, "coming clean" is the primary motive, you should be applying for the HMRC settlement.

You should probably clarify what you mean here Graham - as far as I can see BG does 'come clean' with HMRC insofar as you deal with them honestly and openly.
    I think what you mean by 'coming clean' is agreeing with HMRC's analysis.

Leave a comment:

• ConfusedEasily
    replied
    Originally posted by Runster View Post
    Taxinglife- sounds like you are in the same situation as me. My wife wants to settle, and thinks BigGroup is tantamount to ‘not coming clea’ To be fair, she doesn’t know the detail, but is still in shock as I only shared this hideous burden with her yesterday. Graham - I have the same questions as Taxinglife. Will call you shortly.
    To be fair, WTT has always stated that their case will rest on the facts and that means that everything is shared with HMRC.
    I've had my accountant involved, looking at BG since I joined in the early days and his view is that WTT demonstrates integrity and openness.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    "Not coming clean"?

If that means we believe that HMRC's present interpretation of the situation is something we disagree with and will challenge, yes, that's exactly what we're doing.

We don't guarantee our answer is correct or that it will find favour with whomever the final arbiter is but it is one that has - in our opinion - integrity.

Ultimately the decision on whether you take HMRC's present offer or not, is a very personal one. These threads are full of ideas and suggestions and thoughts on how and why people are in the situation they are. They demonstrate that the decision is likely to be subject to a thousand subjective issues.

If, "coming clean" is the primary motive, you should be applying for the HMRC settlement.

If not, BG offers one route.

There are undoubtedly other routes as well.

Leave a comment:

• Runster
    replied
    Originally posted by webberg View Post
    On the first question, call us again please.

On the second, the answer is not really. We are in the process now of executing our strategy and there will come a time when (hopefully) we will get to a point of either agreement with HMRC or agreeing to disagree and then considering the next steps. That might be 24 months from now.

In the meantime, as we continue to work on our proposal and sink more and more time and expertise into it, the cost of joining later in the process will increase. We usually give notice of any such increases and we have nothing planned at the moment.
    Taxinglife- sounds like you are in the same situation as me. My wife wants to settle, and thinks BigGroup is tantamount to ‘not coming clea’ To be fair, she doesn’t know the detail, but is still in shock as I only shared this hideous burden with her yesterday. Graham - I have the same questions as Taxinglife. Will call you shortly.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Originally posted by Finalwhistle View Post
    appears to be heavily linked with BG so i'm sure its ok to post here? (apologies if not)

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/

join up and get involved...
    There is a separate thread for this.

The founders are mainly members of Big Group which willingly acted as a catalyst to get things moving and is some thing that WTT - as advisers to BG - very much support.

Leave a comment:

• Finalwhistle
    replied
    LCAG..

appears to be heavily linked with BG so i'm sure its ok to post here? (apologies if not)

https://www.hmrcloancharge.info/

join up and get involved...

Leave a comment:

• uncle pear
    replied
    I'm definitely in need of finding out more about this. Certainly looking at finding out more about the Big Group.

Leave a comment:

• webberg
    replied
    Our latest newsletter will be appearing later today.

Please make sure that you read it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X