• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Calculating Potential APN

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrsB1974 View Post
    Hmmm... so should I expect the APN amount to be the same as the tax payable amount in my settlement calculation (ie, tax payable on loans / income and no interest)?

Or might the APN amount be totally different? (higher)

[The loans amount Hector used for my settlement calculation is pretty much accurate.]

Thanks
    Likely that the APN is higher.

Certainly in schemes I've seen where settlement is offered at say 25% of original claim, the APN arrives for 100% of the tax in dispute. This is either a deliberate tactic from HMRC in trying to pressure people into settling or one HMRC hand not knowing what the other is doing.

In your cases I suspect that the numbers will be pretty close.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Nicely summed up mr weberg.

Comment

Originally posted by webberg View Post
        Likely that the APN is higher.

Certainly in schemes I've seen where settlement is offered at say 25% of original claim, the APN arrives for 100% of the tax in dispute. This is either a deliberate tactic from HMRC in trying to pressure people into settling or one HMRC hand not knowing what the other is doing.

In your cases I suspect that the numbers will be pretty close.
        HMRC have always maintained there will be no settlement other than the full figure haven't they? which schemes HMRC have offered 25% deals to prior to issuing APN's?

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
          HMRC have always maintained there will be no settlement other than the full figure haven't they? which schemes HMRC have offered 25% deals to prior to issuing APN's?
          Apologies, that was a bit clumsy.

In the sort of film schemes I deal with, a common settlement proposal is "tax relief on the cash invested", which can be between 5% and 36% of the gross claimed. I therefore get such offers across my desk with an APN for the 100%.

In your case, there is no "cash invested" and therefore HMRC say that the full amount received is the taxable amount.

I did sort of attempt to say that APN and settlement would be similar but it was not clear.

That said, I think that there is scope for putting a plan to HMRC that the taxable income should be less than 100% of the received value. I'm sure the providers are doing that.

(No, me neither).

Comment

25% settlements

I agree with the a previous poster - a very nice, concise summary from Mr Webburg - perhaps this post should go in a sticky somewhere, to give new forums visitors some background.

And to echo the previous question - to which schemes/individuals have HMRC have offered 25% deals (presumably after APNs and resistance) ?

(IMO, that level of discount would have seen / will see a lot more contractors likely to settle ...)
            "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Sorry ...

In the sort of film schemes I deal with, a common settlement proposal is "tax relief on the cash invested", which can be between 5% and 36% of the gross claimed. I therefore get such offers across my desk with an APN for the 100%.

In your case, there is no "cash invested" and therefore HMRC say that the full amount received is the taxable amount.

I did sort of attempt to say that APN and settlement would be similar but it was not clear.

That said, I think that there is scope for putting a plan to HMRC that the taxable income should be less than 100% of the received value. I'm sure the providers are doing that.
              ... I think my last post crossed with your reply ...
              "If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next ..."

Comment

Originally posted by dangerouswhensober View Post
                I agree with the a previous poster - a very nice, concise summary from Mr Webburg - perhaps this post should go in a sticky somewhere, to give new forums visitors some background.

And to echo the previous question - to which schemes/individuals have HMRC have offered 25% deals (presumably after APNs and resistance) ?

(IMO, that level of discount would have seen / will see a lot more contractors likely to settle ...)
                Needs to be amended if it becomes a "sticky"

(No, me neither).

Comment

That still seems odd but I'm no tax accountant so I'm not surprised I don't follow it :-) Is the 5% - 36% (or whatever the ranges may be) directly related to how much tax relief the individual tried to claim rather than the invested amount? If it's the former, I get it, and get why there is a difference in each case. If it's the latter then how can HMRC be asking for the full tax on, say a £100,000 investment when you've only tried to offset £20.000 for tax relief?!?

Or is the 5% - 36% the offer that the scheme user has made to HMRC?

I think what I'm trying to ascertain is if there are any breaks being given to users of some schemes but not others...

Comment

That still seems odd but I'm no tax accountant so I'm not surprised I don't follow it :-) Is the 5% - 36% (or whatever the ranges may be) directly related to how much tax relief the individual tried to claim rather than the invested amount? If it's the former, I get it, and get why there is a difference in each case. If it's the latter then how can HMRC be asking for the full tax on, say a £100,000 investment when you've only tried to offset £20.000 for tax relief?!?

Or is the 5% - 36% the offer that the scheme user has made to HMRC?

I think what I'm trying to ascertain is if there are any breaks being given to users of some schemes but not others...
                    Oh dear - Pandora's Box.

I'm happy to respond on PM but think that there is no direct read across from the film scheme scenario to EBT type scenarios.

I suspect to get into this will take up space and distract from the thread here.

As I said, PM if you're interested.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Bottom line.

The tax stated in the APN should be the same as in any previous assessments.

There are no deals/discounts for EBTs.

Comment

Working...
                      X