• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC Enquiries: Bedouin/Redstone

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peasnall View Post
    If someone is using a scheme like this what's the best thing todo? Put in a self assessment at the end of the tax year and declare everything (loans in particular)
    Do you know which team/inspector in HMRC is dealing with the Bedouin scheme? It might be worth a phone call to find out how you would go about settling.

I would expect HMRC to be in a receptive mood with anyone who wants to settle.

Comment

Originally posted by DonkeyRhubarb View Post
      Do you know which team/inspector in HMRC is dealing with the Bedouin scheme? It might be worth a phone call to find out how you would go about settling.

I would expect HMRC to be in a receptive mood with anyone who wants to settle.
      I have no idea and wouldn't even know where to begin in finding out.

Comment

I have no idea and wouldn't even know where to begin in finding out.
        Most scheme investigations are handled by a single team/inspector.

Do you know anyone in the Bedouin scheme who has been investigated by HMRC? If so, any correspondence they've had from HMRC would provide a starting point of contact.

Maybe someone else on this forum knows who, in HMRC, is dealing with it.

Comment

Most scheme investigations are handled by a single team/inspector.

Do you know anyone in the Bedouin scheme who has been investigated by HMRC? If so, any correspondence they've had from HMRC would provide a starting point of contact.

Maybe someone else on this forum knows who, in HMRC, is dealing with it.
          We can help with that - PM me.

there is no great secret to asking for a settlement. A simple request to HMRC will do the trick.

The issue you have is that HMRC will apply their interpretation of the truth, be reluctant to move away from their "multiple of salary" figure, will not admit that any years might be closed in any event and have little inclination to check any of this stuff.

An adviser will know (or bloody should know) how to do all of this and how whatever settlement might be sought "fits" with a consistent pattern.

The downside is that an adviser will charge a fee.
          Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

Thanks for the help. Right I've gone through my bank account for when I worked for redstone. I got paid via redstone twice. Then after that it was from pacnet services Ltd but I still worked for redstone. Who's this pacnet services ltd?

My accountant has told me to write to hmrc and say there's a discrepancy with redstone in my paperwork. Hmrc states I was paid £2500 but if I add up all my payments (even though it's from this pacnet) it was £6000. And id like to resolve my tax affairs.

She says what il have to pay won't be too bad as the deadline for SA (if that's what I needed to do at the time) has just gone so il only have to pay £100 for that plus my outstanding tax.

Seems the reason a friend of mine is expected to pay £23,000 from 2011 is the penalties of not returning a SA have piled up. Ie after one year it's £10 per day ( I think that's right)

But I still need to find out if this pacnet services are part of Bedouin/redstone. Or are being investigated too.

Comment

Right ignore the pacnet things it's redstone. So I've added all my wages up from redstone.

Comes in at £8,919.53
              Hmrc says I earned £2651

Minus the 2 figures = £6268.53

My plan is to say to hmrc via letter that you state I've earned £2651 when my paperwork says I've earned £8919.53 and id like to settle my tax affairs.

Comment

Right ignore the pacnet things it's redstone. So I've added all my wages up from redstone.

Comes in at £8,919.53
                Hmrc says I earned £2651

Minus the 2 figures = £6268.53

My plan is to say to hmrc via letter that you state I've earned £2651 when my paperwork says I've earned £8919.53 and id like to settle my tax affairs.
                I assume the £2651 was salary through PAYE, and the £6268.53 were loans.

In which case, the £6268.53 is not earnings, and it's not really correct to declare it as such. Apart from anything else, if you do declare it as earnings, HMRC will charge Class 1 NICs as well as tax, and there is also the question of Employers NICs.

If it was me, I'd get on the phone to HMRC and explain the situation rather than making a potentially false declaration.

Comment

I assume the £2651 was salary through PAYE, and the £6268.53 were loans.

In which case, the £6268.53 is not earnings, and it's not really correct to declare it as such. Apart from anything else, if you do declare it as earnings, HMRC will charge Class 1 NICs as well as tax, and there is also the question of Employers NICs.

If it was me, I'd get on the phone to HMRC and explain the situation rather than making a potentially false declaration.
                  Thank you for the reply right the £8919 I got paid is broken down like this ;

£2016 is wages that I paid tax on( although hmrc say £2651)
                  £1701 is for accommodation (is this tax free?)
                  £5202 is loans.

Why wouldn't I declare the loans may is ask?

What shall I declare from above?

Is there a need to declare the loans? Where the loans legal at the time (2014)

Can hmrc actually do anything about the loans ?

Sorry for all the questions but u do really appreciate the help.

Comment

Seek professional advice or, if you don't want to pay for advice, phone HMRC.

Comment

Seek professional advice or, if you don't want to pay for advice, phone HMRC.
                      What would be the best thing to say to hmrc? What would you say in my circumstances?

Comment

Working...
                      X