• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Settlement Opportunity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it possible to make a Freedom of Information request of the ATO to see if this power has been used?

I would do it myself but not being an Aus citizen I suspect not much ink would be wasted in a response.
    Best Forum Adviser & Forum Personality of the Year 2018.

(No, me neither).

Comment

I have a settlement opportunity and it states I need to pay in installments that I had agreed a couple of months ago. The first installment is due soon - dumb question but is it possible to pay the whole lot off all at once instead of month-by-month now?

I know there is a month by month amount I have to pay but when I asked settlement team if I can just pay the whole darn thing off they were taken aback and said "no one has ever asked that before" !! They fobbed me off to another department as they said I might be able to get some interest back...to which is strange since I doubt I would get anything back and even if it was then it would not be too much anyway...When I asked the other department they said they don't deal with this as they are the department to contact when you have not made any payments...right hand does not know what the left hand is doing!

So, I am kind of stuck...I just want to pay them off and have the money to do so...I don't want to wait 10 more months for this to go through monthly installments..
      Last edited by lara400; 22 October 2015, 20:15.

Comment

You should have received a letter with a payment reference number on it.
        Log onto billpayment.co.uk/hmrc, put that reference in and pay the lot.

Once paid, ring them and tell them that you don't need instalments.

* actually the amount would probably have forward interest on it, speak to the settlement team and get a new figure then do the above.
        Last edited by bluemonkey71; 23 October 2015, 08:07.

Comment

Working...
        X