• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Monday Links from the Bench vol. CCXXXV

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Or God exists.
    We're ****ed then. That settles it.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
      Lots of UFOs in Renaissance art
      And lots of other evidence too, if only people would listen!

Check this out. Even if you think it's bollux it makes you wonder "well what is the explanation?"

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
        And lots of other evidence too, if only people would listen!

Check this out. Even if you think it's bollux it makes you wonder "well what is the explanation?"
        Check out what?

I've already debunked the "alien in a flying car" theory. So what is the next tin foil UFO theory that needs demolishing?
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Check out what?

I've already debunked the "alien in a flying car" theory. So what is the next tin foil UFO theory that needs demolishing?
          So where are they all?

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
            So where are they all?
            The very advanced civilisations (billions of years ahead of us) probably all round us, like spirits of the wind and rain. We'd have absolutely no chance of detecting them in the foreseeable future and equally no chance whatever they would make their presence known to us, accidently or otherwise.

The intermediate ones (still in corporeal form of some kind), fast asleep I reckon, tucked up in their cryogenic chambers for millions of years as they travel round the galaxy in pre-planned synchronised waves first outwards and then reconverging to compare notes. That would explain why they don't bother with radio signals or any detectable activity - What would be the point when their plans are already decided and they are in transit anyway?

If you think about it, once all physical laws are established and experimentally confirmed to theoretical limits (and those do exist), then all that remains in the way of novelty and exploration is nature's variety, and that means having to up sticks and turn nomadic. An alien civilisation that stayed put would inevitably end up in terminal decline sooner or later.

Assuming (as most physicists do) that dark matter exists, if there wasn't such a heck of a lot of it (more so than Baryonic matter), one might be tempted to speculate that it is simply exhaust from innumerable interstellar space ships, circling the Galaxy for aeons
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

The very advanced civilisations (billions of years ahead of us) probably all round us, like spirits of the wind
              What, even when I'm having a crap? They could at least pass me a new arse fodder roll when I run out.

Comment

Argh seems my link was abducted by an alien

This link:
                Ancient Aliens - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

then all that remains in the way of novelty and exploration is nature's variety ... a civilisation that stayed put would inevitably end up in terminal decline sooner or later.
                  If you've not read it, you might enjoy this:
                  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Dancers-at-E.../dp/057510855X

Great book!

Comment

The very advanced civilisations (billions of years ahead of us) probably all round us, like spirits of the wind and rain.
                    Like the holy spirit you mean?

Amazing how reports of Aliens went up dramatically after HollyWood started films of aliens.....

Comment

Working...
                    X