• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Could you take a year off?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    If I could be sure of work at the end of it, I'd take a year off tomorrow.
    So why don't you? IE6 isn't going anywhere...

Or take six months off each year?
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      So why don't you? IE6 isn't going anywhere...

Or take six months off each year?
      Told ClientCo today that I wouldn't be renewing after the end of this 6 month extension, so will take a few months at Christmas.

Comment

I was off nine months last year waiting on a large 3 year fixed price contract that stalled in later negotiations (despite regular meetings, documentation, demos, false starts and more negotiations during the many months). That's was post divorce, I had worked continuously on a contract for over two years and by that time I had accumulated a year's worth of warchest (thank god) but I regretted not taking a big holiday during that time. I cycled a lot, saw friends and chilled but wished I'd spent some time abroad.

This time round I'm going to just go ahead and do it, although my gearing is really high (big mortgage).

Life's too short to worry about the next contract - take a leap and just enjoy!
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Being fed up with work and marriage..I'm headed abroad for 3 months in October. Perhaps I'll figure out what my purpose is on this planet during that time.
          McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
          Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Yes. I am currently taking a "Year Off".

I'm making my Plan B. Into Plan A.

Comment

Originally posted by tomtomagain View Post
              Yes. I am currently taking a "Year Off".

I'm making my Plan B. Into Plan A.
              Was that based solely on you working constantly for the past year, or a much longer savings plan?
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

The ability to take large chunks of time off is one of the main reasons I contract and I try to do it after every gig.

Usually only a few months but I have taken over a year once, although economic conditions were a factor there.

Al.
                Back at the coal face

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Was that based solely on you working constantly for the past year, or a much longer savings plan?
                  I worked pretty much constantly for a decade but the decision was made when my side project started taking off.

It got to a stage where the side-project was a full-time job ..... and I already had one of those. Having two full-time jobs is a PITA.

Comment

So glad the wife has a well paid job too, could easily take a year off.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

If I was working in blighty, yes, but the way I have to continually pay myself at a certain level in cloggers ( could lose expat tax ruling if I don't), no.
                      "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                      X