• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Getting driving license - difficulty, cost

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
    I know it's not quite comparable, but it took me 10 hours of motorcycle training to pass my test, having been a driver for 10 years. I wouldn't expect anyone who can drive a car to need more than 3 - 5 hours of instruction to get to a passing standard. That shouldn't much more than £130 or so.

The theory test is easy and you have 2 years to pass your test afterwards, so my advice is get that one checked off. It's £31 and there are plenty of apps with the actual questions on, so you just need to practice and practice. The tricky portion is Hazard Perception - it's not a difficult concept, but you have to find what they're after. The AA do some nice practice software.

And finally, the actual test is £62 or £75 (plus your driving instructors fee).

So, realistically, you should be able to get this sorted for £250. You'll need to get your provisional license sorted first, before anything, though and that's a couple of quid, too.

It can be easier said than done to remove bad habits, though - so you'll need to engage your brain. And listen to your instructor - they know exactly what is being looked for - people will insist on giving you all sorts of 'advice' and 'tips' on the actual driving, but just stick to a reputable instructor and listen solely to them. The test has changed a lot over the years and things that were recommended at one time will now you see you failing (E.g., overuse of engine braking would be a good example)
    Agree with this, when I got my bike licence - all new since I took the car one 30 years ago. Definitely get the software - it's worth it especially for the Hazard Perception test.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
    X