• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A question about God

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
    I assume that you're talking about me. I'm sure you'd agree that the world would be a very primitive place if none ever asked a question that was already asked by another.

You sound defensive.
    You sound like a dweeb.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

But according to the multiverse theory, every possible action or choice will be taken and that choice is not mutually exclusive.
      Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

God is an answer to who created man, but merely kicks the question further down the road

Isn't it a recursive paradox, if you believe in god who created god
        Doing the needful since 1827

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          Well that's pretty much the whole foundation of quantum mechanics.
          You reminded me, I forgot to add...

It's a straw man anyway. We're talking about if there was a god, could he be omnipotent and omniscient at the same time. Omnipotence means actions, and actions have effects. Being able to do infinite number of actions and being able to know them all are self-contradictory, while being unable to identify every possible number causes no contradiction - it's something that doesn't really make sense in the context of omniscience anyway because numbers aren't even real things (effects are).

So I would suppose that omniscience and omnipotence couldn't exist together (even in different entities). I.e. if there were two gods there couldn't be one which was omniscient and the other omnipotent, and obviously there couldn't be more than one omnipotent god, so perhaps there could only be either 1 omnipotent god alone, or more than one omniscient god.

Comment

Originally posted by amcdonald View Post
            God is an answer to who created man, but merely kicks the question further down the road

Isn't it a recursive paradox, if you believe in god who created god
            I'm not worried about the possibility of god - it's an absurd idea. I'm just thinking that any hypothetical god couldn't be all knowing AND all powerful at the same time.

For many God is both, but if someone really must believe in God then God should probably look quite different then people tend to imagine.

**edit** I meant to say existence of, not possibility of.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              But according to the multiverse theory, every possible action or choice will be taken and that choice is not mutually exclusive.
              So could some entity know them *ALL* bearing in mind 'all' is indeterminate by definition (unless you know otherwise?).

Comment

I don't even know what omniscience and omnipotence mean, and CBA to google.

Comment

Originally posted by SpontaneousOrder View Post
                  I'm not worried about the possibility of god - it's an absurd idea. I'm just thinking that any hypothetical god couldn't be all knowing AND all powerful at the same time.

For many God is both, but if someone really must believe in God then God should probably look quite different then people tend to imagine.

**edit** I meant to say existence of, not possibility of.

Allow me to speak from recent personal experience...

Three weeks ago I was about to start a new gig. I'd been off contract for quite some time, so a good, clean, stress-free start was paramount. Ease myself into it, sort of thing.

Monday morning arrives. I go to get the motorcycle out of the shed.

Can I find the shed key? Can I fook. And I've never, ever mislaid the shed key before.

I spend thirty minutes visiting every location around the house and garden that I'd touched in weeks - all the while screaming aloud, "Good God, where's the f**cking shed key!"

Were my pleas answered? No.

I do not believe God actually knew where my shed key was.

Omniscient my arse.

(Ps. It turns out I'd dropped it on the drive whilst doing some weeding and a neighbour had placed it on top of my garden gate.)
                  nomadd liked this post

Comment

I became disillusioned when I was about 8 and prayed for nice weather for my birthday.

My sister said to me that God has better things to do than worry about than some silly little girl's birthday party.

I can't remember what the weather was like.

Comment

Many 17 year olds ask such questions. The answers are generally unsatisfactory IIRC.
                      Last edited by speling bee; 26 April 2014, 18:11.
                      The material prosperity of a nation is not an abiding possession; the deeds of its people are.

George Frederic Watts

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postman's_Park

Comment

Working...
                      X