• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Replacing my BMW with one of these ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    yo Mich,

can you, would you perhaps, be so kind as to explain that for the hard of hearing

ta

Milan.
    I like a car that burns lots of petrol because it's a business cost so it lowers my income tax in an enjoyable way.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I like a car that burns lots of petrol because it's a business cost so it lowers my income tax in an enjoyable way.
      oh thank you

yeah and that was my point, at this level of car, what FrankfurtamMain is talking about, does fuel consumption really matter, in that market ?

Milan.

Comment

oh thank you

yeah and that was my point, at this level of car, what FrankfurtamMain is talking about, does fuel consumption really matter, in that market ?

Milan.
        No, as long as it's fun.

Comment

precisely

A friend bought a 1975 XJ12C and has had it nuts and bolts restored, including fitting disc brakes and abs etc. Same chap with the 650i actually.

I was thinking about beginning my collection with an XKR100, what say thee to one of those ?

Milan.

Comment

precisely

A friend bought a 1975 XJ12C and has had it nuts and bolts restored, including fitting disc brakes and abs etc. Same chap with the 650i actually.

I was thinking about beginning my collection with an XKR100, what say thee to one of those ?

Milan.
            I love the old XJs, especially the series III that Pininfarina very subtly improved by shaving off a cm here and adding a millimetre there, if you can find one that will actually start each day; that's why I have the x300 type Daimler instead. Solid engine, half decent electrics and nearly as good looking as the older XJ.

But I did look for an XK or XKR; what I noticed was that a lot of them have been badly cared for, with mucky interiors and scruffy seats, which suggests they haven't been well maintained. Strange really that people buy a dream car and then treat it like dirt.

Comment

yeah I know what you mean

I was talking to another friend about trying to spot the cars which are going to be
              future classics and winners, he suggested the spread bet of:

XKR
              DB7
              Virage

buy the three and lock them away

what do you, and infact everyone's invited to have a go here, what cars which are relatively cheap now,
              eg, old XJS's old XKR's, Maserati GT's etc anything upto 25k euro, which ones are going to be the
              winners in the next 20 years ?

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                Very nice piece of kit but only worth buying in Germany where you can actually use the speed.
                Quite correct. I think if I lived in the UK I would seriously look at buying something like you're looking at. It still has enough power and speed yet fuel consumption is pretty good. However, eveyr red blooded male needs a bit of excitement to get the juices flowing and something like this for the weekend would do the trick: Welcome to Eagle - Eagle E-Types, The Eagle Speedster and the Low Drag GT which I think are really rather good
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

yeah I know what you mean

I was talking to another friend about trying to spot the cars which are going to be
                  future classics and winners, he suggested the spread bet of:

XKR
                  DB7
                  Virage

buy the three and lock them away

what do you, and infact everyone's invited to have a go here, what cars which are relatively cheap now,
                  eg, old XJS's old XKR's, Maserati GT's etc anything upto 25k euro, which ones are going to be the
                  winners in the next 20 years ?

Milan.
                  Your mate's only listed sports cars. Take a look at the saloon cars. XJ series I, II and III, and now Jaguar fans are increasingly enthousiastic about the x300 as it's the last Jag with the classic straight 6 and v12 engines. x300 has now probably hit rock bottom prices and is expected to rise. 'R' or Daimler versions are most in demand.

Comment

Jayzuz,

starting at 135k gbp and going up to 700k gbp

hmm, I'll stick to me XKR100 or Virage for 40k eur

Milan.

Comment

I once had a Daimler Double 6 and living in the environs of East london at the time, was seen as a posh gangsters motor. Took ages filling it up and not very long in emptying it

Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Working...
                      X