• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recommendations on areas in London to buy a house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would you want to live in London and still have an hour commute to the City or 90 minutes to Paddington?

The way I see it you either live outside of London, get more house for your money and have a long commute (1hr+), or you live in London, pay more for less, but you have a short commute (about 30 mins or less).

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
      The way I see it you either live outside of London, get more house for your money and have a long commute (1hr+), or you live in London, pay more for less, but you have a short commute (about 30 mins or less).
      That's pretty much where I was coming from suggesting somewhere like Amersham (although no doubt there are places closer).

But it's rapidly getting to the point where there will be no flats in centralish London for under half a million. So for first time buyers, without a big handout or legacy from mater and pater, the hour long commute will soon be the only option.
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
        But it's rapidly getting to the point where there will be no flats in centralish London for under half a million. So for first time buyers, without a big handout or legacy from mater and pater, the hour long commute will soon be the only option.
        I don't think first time buyers have any business looking to purchase property in central London.

If businesses are looking young professionals they should set up shop on the on the other side of the M25.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Why would you want to live in London and still have an hour commute to the City or 90 minutes to Paddington?

Those were upper limits for commuting times.

Comment

It takes 25 minutes Reading to Paddington, train every 10-15 minutes time to read a newspaper and have a coffee.

It takes 45 minutes (if lucky) to cross London by tube from Osterley with Romanian beggars playing the accordion
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              It takes 25 minutes Reading to Paddington, train every 10-15 minutes time to read a newspaper and have a coffee.

It takes 45 minutes (if lucky) to cross London by tube from Osterley with Romanian beggars playing the accordion
              Yes but Reading is rather depressing.
              "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                Depends what you read. I stick to the cartoons and horoscopes.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

That's my point. He said he wants to buy in London but within an hour of the City. That's pretty much all of it. If you're going to live in London, at least limit your commute length otherwise you could live further out and have about the same length commute.

Oh, and Reading to Paddington in 25 mins is all very well but what about travel either side of the journey?

Comment

Good luck getting a standard class seat on that if travelling popular times.

N.B. With HS2 (a few years off), many are predicting 'Birmingham' as the new London commuter hot spot -

"could cut Birmingham to London (Euston) journey time to just 30 minutes" - quicker than driving from Earls Court to Euston at rush hour.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                      I quite like Reading.

Decent shops, pubs and restaurants. Nice river and canal walks/cycles. Very short distance to stunning countryside. Nice mix of old and new bits. Some very nice areas to live that are still walkable to the station.

Comment

Working...
                      X