• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Credit Agency confirms independent Scotland set for Triple-A credit rating

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mos View Post
    I am thinking ... all this comes as England depleted North Sea oil reserves ...

Ahh the lovely oil which will drop in value now Iraq is hitting decent production levels and Coal to Diesel conversion hits industrial levels and the US flood the gas market with Gas fraking.
    Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

What the Credit Agency actually "confirmed"

& don't worry most of us Scots are not like ScooterScot and would prefer to stay in the UK, we know a good deal when we see one

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        No I wish them all the best. They've wanted independence from England for 800 years or so, about time they had it IMHO.
        Based on what evidence?

Unless by "They've" you mean SNATS and not Scots in general

Comment

I wonder how those figures would change without the North Sea oil, or in a world where its importance diminishes. Ultimately it only really matters for tax revenues and macro stats, but the former of these is hardly unimportant. In terms of pure economics, there's little to stop Scotland from engaging with the rest of the UK economically even after independence, however it will have to run a much tighter ship in terms of govt spending, particularly since it won't have the luxury of consequence-free (superficially) money printing.
          Last edited by Zero Liability; 10 April 2014, 22:09.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
            I wonder how those figures would change without the North Sea oil, or in a world where its importance diminishes.
            Presumably even less than BBB- in that case

Comment

Originally posted by BlueSharp View Post
              Ahh the lovely oil which will drop in value now Iraq is hitting decent production levels and Coal to Diesel conversion hits industrial levels and the US flood the gas market with Gas fraking.
              No sight of it as yet.
              Last edited by mos; 10 April 2014, 22:11.
              If UKIP are the answer, then it must have been a very stupid question.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulder View Post
                Presumably even less than BBB- in that case
                Indeed, and that would close a further avenue in terms of the toolkits governments use to finance their spending, i.e. debt issuance. No money printing, no low-cost borrowing... it would be interesting to see how this would shape an independent Scotland. Come to think of it, I wouldn't mind to see this sort of govt restraint in the UK in general, however I doubt this will sit very well with the Scottish electorate.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  So there you have it. Independent agencies saying a UK without money pouring in from Scotland is in the do da.
                  Is that with or without their own currency?
                  Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Mulder View Post

& don't worry most of us Scots are not like ScooterScot and would prefer to stay in the UK, we know a good deal when we see one
                    Nice selective distortion of the facts there Mulder. You must have had a good long hard look to find what you wanted! And here's what the graph really looks like the now:

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                      I wonder how those figures would change without the North Sea oil, or in a world where its importance diminishes. Ultimately it only really matters for tax revenues and macro stats, but the former of these is hardly unimportant. In terms of pure economics, there's little to stop Scotland from engaging with the rest of the UK economically even after independence, however it will have to run a much tighter ship in terms of govt spending, particularly since it won't have the luxury of consequence-free (superficially) money printing.
                      Scotland would become a much wealthier country if it slashed its public sector. It's not proportional to the population size.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X