• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IR35 is dead

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have to admit when I started out nearly a year ago I figured I'd earn enough and avoiding tax as well was taking the piss, so went with an umbrella. Fortunately it didn't take long to see the error of my ways, and now I regret my first 4 months with an umbrella as I reckon it's cost me about £2K in tax I didn't need to pay.

Assuming this is all true, what worries me slightly is now having admitted defeat, Gordon and co. will now have another go at IR35 and this time do it properly.
    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      Assuming this is all true, what worries me slightly is now having admitted defeat, Gordon and co. will now have another go at IR35 and this time do it properly.
      This time do it properly?

There isn't a person in here that could tell you something that this Labour government have ever done properly, except make a proper feck-up of everything they touch! And that includes Gordon Brown's over-complicated, ill-informed meddling with every part of the economy he could lay his hands on!

I wouldn't worry too much if I were you!
      Last edited by stackpole; 23 August 2006, 21:21.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
        I don't see how they can anything more than they have so far. The problem for them doesn't seem to be the legislation itself, more the cost-benefit equation of using trained investigators to go after (by definition) lots of very small limited companies on a contract by contract basis with a very low chance of getting the few hundred or few thousand pounds of tax/NI they think they should have paid. Better to use staff to concentrate on areas like VAT which are leaking at the rate of millions a week ... or Philip Green... sorry SIR Philip Green... who hardly pays a penny in tax.
        It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it. www.areyoupopular.mobi

Comment

Originally posted by oraclesmith
          or Philip Green... sorry SIR Philip Green... who hardly pays a penny in tax.
          Its his wife who gets all the money actually - she lives offshore fulltime and he just manages family business, he sure does trust his wife a lot since pretty much everything is in her name.

Comment

Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock
            Indeed as the Threaded impersonator mentioned its by Rene Magrtitte.

If you like his work Ive found this to be a good site ...

.magritte

For those whom find themselves in Brussels you can visit the Magritte museum at Rue Esseghem 135 where he lived for several years.
            I'm into music rather than painting, so I really meant the album. As you didn't mention it, or quote any lyrics, Ill take that as a no.

It's 'Dreams' by a group of the same name, just in case anybody gives one.
            Boom boom boom boom
            A-haw haw haw haw
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
            Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

I do. Who was in "Dreams"?
              We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

[QUOTE=wendigo100]If you are a member, it is discussed in this PCG thread

*message deleted *

Sorry all, we've been asked to remove a section of this post copied from the PCG forum as it breaches their forum T&Cs.
                Last edited by Contractor UK; 25 August 2006, 08:42.

Comment

I agree with Oraclesmith

To avoid any investigation (IR35 and otherwise) you need to be sensible. If you are a Director of a Ltd Co pay yourself a half-decent salary (£ 25k or so), if you've got a partner that (allegedly) does the admin give her another £ 7k or so, less pensions/expenses, rest is up to you how much you draw in dividends. If you play your cards right, you should never have to pay the top rate of tax. Afraid can't sympathise with any piss-takers be it the Ltd Co ones on £ 7k salary or (even worse) the ones using foreign-based tax-evading umbrellas

Comment

Review from Amazon

Easier to just lift this review from Amazon Fleety:

"I bought this album on LP in early 1971, and it has proven to be an interesting document in the history of Jazz/Rock. A reflection of the open minded musical attitude that existed at the time, Dreams takes the sophisticated and more loosely structured horn charts and solos of Jazz and places them over a rock oriented rhythm section. The results are always listenable, never boring, and often surprising. All of the pieces contain musical subtleties that make this recording special. Certainly, many of the ideas expressed here were well above those expressed by Chicago and BS&T, yet the music is just as accessible.
                    The individual musicians were just beginning to stylistically assert themselves at the time. John Abercrombie's brief but eclectic guitar breaks (Devil Lady, for instance) are a hint of what was to come in his own later recordings on ECM, and Randy Brecker's trumpet and fleuglehorn fills embellish pieces like Holli be Home and 15 Miles To Provo very nicely. Billy Cobham shows his powerful style on the drum kit (however restrained) that caught the attention of John Mclaughlin and later led to his gig with the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Please Note:
                    It has been my experience over the years that those who listen to jazz exclusively do not really enjoy this recording, but those who listen to both Rock and Jazz enjoy it immensely. Dreams was the best expression of Jazz/Rock in the pre-fusion era here in the States. (IF was doing quite well in this regard on the British end.) As such, it is a fine document of the Jazz/Rock scene circa 1970, and one that remains, after all of these years, a favorite in my collection."

As this is an IR35 thread I really should award myself one of these
                    Boom boom boom boom
                    A-haw haw haw haw
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm
                    Hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm

Comment

Cobham, that was it..
                      I knew I'd seen the cover somewhere...
                      I'm a big fan of early seventies fusion.
                      Last edited by Fleetwood; 24 August 2006, 07:52.
                      We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                      X