• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Happy Birthday WWW

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    www is basically the set of protocols used to share stuff on the internet. So the internet existed before the www, but www is HTML, HTTP, URLs etc and the stuff that has made the internet what it is today.
    Cue harping on about the wonders of prestel.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Basically, websites, like CUK, are part of the WorldWideWeb, which you connect to over the internet. When you use something like Skype or Spotify, they work over the internet too, but they're nothing to do with the WorldWideWeb.

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
        www is basically the set of protocols used to share stuff on the internet. So the internet existed before the www, but www is HTML, HTTP, URLs etc and the stuff that has made the internet what it is today.
        Thanks MS - to admit, I still have no idea, despite your lovely explaination.

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
        Cue harping on about the wonders of prestel.
        Not from me
        Bazza gets caught
        Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

Originally posted by Bunk View Post
          Basically, websites, like CUK, are part of the WorldWideWeb, which you connect to over the internet. When you use something like Skype or Spotify, they work over the internet too, but they're nothing to do with the WorldWideWeb.
          Why not?
          Bazza gets caught

Comment

Originally posted by cailin maith View Post
            Thanks MS - to admit, I still have no idea, despite your lovely explaination.

Not from me
            The American military in cooperation with DARPA came up with a way of connecting bases so that if the comm links between 2 bases were knocked out, they could re-route via their remaining connections. Imagine if the based were spread out it would look a bit like a web because of the interconnections.

This was then replicated on civilian networks and the internet was born. People would use services on the internet to book flights, get share prices etc. All green screen stuff and very slow.

This transfer of information was begging to be standardised. Tim Berners Lee basically provided the blueprint for this standardisation of information and the transfer of this information.

All web pages basically follow this convention being that they are written in HTML (HyperText Markup Language). They are transferred to your machine via HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol).

The network of machines existed prior to this standardisation, the inter-connected network of machines - internet was around before HTML and HTTP.

So the internet pre-dates www, as the www was the standardisation of data exchange on this network.

Comment

Why not?
              Different set of prodocols.

Comment

Why not?
                So skype is used for transferring voice data primarily. HTTP is a text document used to describe the layout of a web page so isn't the best vehicle to send voice data. The application still uses the interconnected network (internet), but doesn't use www protocols such as HTTP as they are inefficient at transferring large and frequently changing pieces of data.

Comment

The American military in cooperation with DARPA came up with a way of connecting bases so that if the comm links between 2 bases were knocked out, they could re-route via their remaining connections. Imagine if the based were spread out it would look a bit like a web because of the interconnections.

This was then replicated on civilian networks and the internet was born. People would use services on the internet to book flights, get share prices etc. All green screen stuff and very slow.

This transfer of information was begging to be standardised. Tim Berners Lee basically provided the blueprint for this standardisation of information and the transfer of this information.

All web pages basically follow this convention being that they are written in HTML (HyperText Markup Language). They are transferred to your machine via HTTP (HyperText Transfer Protocol).

The network of machines existed prior to this standardisation, the inter-connected network of machines - internet was around before HTML and HTTP.

So the internet pre-dates www, as the www was the standardisation of data exchange on this network.
                  Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
                  Different set of prodocols.
                  So skype is used for transferring voice data primarily. HTTP is a text document used to describe the layout of a web page so isn't the best vehicle to send voice data. The application still uses the interconnected network (internet), but doesn't use www protocols such as HTTP as they are inefficient at transferring large and frequently changing pieces of data.
                  Ta That was really helpful Suity.
                  Bazza gets caught

Comment

Bang on cue, The Guardian has this inneresting history-in-a-nutshell of the www

Comment

You're now over qualified for contracting in comms, so fill yer boots

Comment

Working...
                      X