• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why is the DB on this forum so dodgy?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
    Don't call MySQL a DB. Those of us who regularly use such beasts know damn well that it isn't.

BTW, there are decent Open Source DBs - PostgreSQL springs immediately to mind.
    Oh stop moaning.

MySQL is fine as a little workhorse database for website backends.

Nobody ever suggested that you could or should run a banking or telephone billing system on it.

PostgreSQL has its own problems - chief of which is that MySQL is ubiquitous and offered with every damned web server appliance / hosting package going - so it won't gain any traction in that area, despite being a superior DBMS.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
      Oh stop moaning.

MySQL is fine as a little workhorse database for website backends.

Obviously not seeing the number of outages on this site. Not exactly high throughput is it? A few posts a minute.

Comment

Its most likely shared server

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
          Obviously not seeing the number of outages on this site. Not exactly high throughput is it? A few posts a minute.
          Well it depends on the server resources available, doesn't it?

MySQL is generally regarded as fairly high throughput (maybe because it skips on some of the finer points, like referential integrity checking).

You can't blame the DB for being on a crap underpowered server.

You've come right out the other side of the forest of irony and ended up in the desert of wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bogeyman
            (maybe because it skips on some of the finer points, like referential integrity checking)
            Only a finer point??? I'd argue that this is the cause of many a forum crash due to keys getting out of step with different PHP scripts updating the same tables. Just a hunch...

EDIT: Notice that the breadcrumbs on the top of the forum throw errors right now? I'd lay money on that being some sort of PK clash.
            Last edited by Cowboy Bob; 23 August 2006, 12:57.
            Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
              Only a finer point??? I'd argue that this is the cause of many a forum crash due to keys getting out of step with different PHP scripts updating the same tables. Just a hunch...

EDIT: Notice that the breadcrumbs on the top of the forum throw errors right now? I'd lay money on that being some sort of PK clash.
              True RI is important but we had RDBMSs for many years before RI was the norm. You just had to do the referentiality checking in code. Lazy BB coding I suspect, rather than MySQL's fault.

I do, however, agree that it would be nice if MySQL had a coherent RI implemention.

Comment

Originally posted by ferret
                Apologies if the forum outages caused you to do any work, we know this is inexcusable and we will be working hard to make sure you are not distracted by work again in the future.
                LOL! Yes, quite impressed with the last hour - you must do more of that outage please!!

One small thing, Mr Ferret: the emoticons seem to render every time when you get to the reply/add new post page.

Any chance of caching them because until they've rendered, the Toolbar buttons seem to create a JavaScript error if you click on them prematurely?
                If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Let's help people understand MySQL a little better and jump to it's defense a little...

- It has referential integrity.
                  - It has programmable constraints
                  - It has stored procedures
                  - It has views.
                  - It has replication.
                  - It has a tiered security architecture.
                  - It has full text indexing that works REALLY well.
                  - It does ANSI SQL.
                  - It is extremely fast.
                  - It runs on more platforms than any other RDBMS.
                  - It has decent development tools.
                  - It is cheap as in £0
                  - It is easy to install and use.
                  - It has a clustering facility.
                  - It has good documentation.
                  - It has .Net providers, JDBC providers, ODBC providers and modules for almost every scripting language on the planet.

99% of MySQL's problems are the crappy PHP developers who insist on backwards compatibility with version 4.1 and below.
                  Last edited by TheMonkey; 23 August 2006, 15:50.
                  Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

Yes, crappy developer do not write set matching in assembly, amateurs.

Comment

Originally posted by TheMonkey
                      crappy PHP developers
                      I've yet to meet any other sort. Just look here - http://thedailywtf.com/forums/thread/87226.aspx - where they're all banging on about using escaped strings to pass into SQL statements. And these guys nearly all seem to think they're experts.

(If you have to question why escaping strings is bad, put yourself into the aforementioned category).
                      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Working...
                      X