• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Should women get the death penalty?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NorthWestPerm2Contr View Post
    I get you. The thing which angers me is the constant talk of human rights etc. What about the human rights that the perpetrators took? What about all the lives that have been destroyed? It's easy to forget the actual victims.
    Yes, rights can seem unfairly weighted (and in some cases possibly are). However, what we have is a system where human rights are applied universally, and so cannot be removed because of someone's actions, even if those actions are seen as inhuman - they are protected by their genetic membership of the species.
    The "sell" is the concept that no matter how badly someone behaves, we're better than them because we respect the rights they deny others.
    And then, once you take the step of deciding that you can deny a human right to certain humans, where do you draw the line?

Again, in the US things are different. Take the Declaration of Independence: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness." Of course, these are not unalienable, as all three can be stripped by the courts, and regularly are, sometimes from people without the mental capacity to judge their own action, sometimes for crimes we may feel undeserving of the punishment, e.g. the length of sentences for possessing minor amounts of cannabis vs other drugs.

Comment

Thankfully, I have retracted what I actually meant to post... perhaps the Pinot made me contemplate before clicking "Submit Reply".

I am becoming more moderate, in my dotage...
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Wimp.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
          Wimp.
          OK, OK - hang 'em all. No, better, shoot 'em all. Mmmm, on second thoughts, Shark-Bait!

After a week, noone will care!
          I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Working...
          X