• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

German company making vinyl records

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeez who has phyiscal copies of music nowadays!

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
      Ok.

Who's got 78s & sommat to play them on?
      I've got a pile of my nonna's Mario Lanza 78s in the loft.

Don't know if they're worth anything. Probably not. I also had a 78 rpm version of Rock Around The Clock. That probably was worth something. Shame I dropped it and it smashed into smithereens.

I don't have a turntable that spins at 78 rpm though. It's hard enough switching between 33rpm and 45 rpm as it involves removing the turntable itself and fitting the belt onto one or other of 2 wheels (for want of a better word).

I seem to remember that, as a young gal, I had a turntable that span at 16 rpm. I have never seen nor heard of any record that would play at this speed. It would be inneresting to hear from anyone who has....

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
        I've got a pile of my nonna's Mario Lanza 78s in the loft.

Don't know if they're worth anything. Probably not. I also had a 78 rpm version of Rock Around The Clock. That probably was worth something. Shame I dropped it and it smashed into smithereens.

I don't have a turntable that spins at 78 rpm though. It's hard enough switching between 33rpm and 45 rpm as it involves removing the turntable itself and fitting the belt onto one or other of 2 wheels (for want of a better word).

I seem to remember that, as a young gal, I had a turntable that span at 16 rpm. I have never seen nor heard of any record that would play at this speed. It would be inneresting to hear from anyone who has....
        my first had 4 speeds

16, 33.33, 45 and 78

I think 16's were effectively 7 inch albums - although I think I (and by that I mean my dad) only had one.

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          my first had 4 speeds

16, 33.33, 45 and 78

I think 16's were effectively 7 inch albums - although I think I (and by that I mean my dad) only had one.
          My pop had a 78 rpm version of I Was Born Under A Wandering Star by Lee Marvin.

Imagine that played at 16 rpm!

All I can say is that some structural damage was done!

Comment

I seem to remember something about 16s being for voice recordings - which makes sense as they'd be longer and lower quality. But that might be cobblers. What rpm did the original turn the handle trumpet gramophones use?

My Dad had a turntable with 16,33,45,78 too, and you didn't need to change the belts.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by Gittins Gal View Post
              Here you go:

Holy Bible The Complete New Testament 26 16 RPM Records | eBay
              Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I have a record that plays from the inside out and one that never finishes (it was purposely made with a small scratch on the runout groove so it just skips all the time.) Remember 'A Porky Prime Cut?'
                Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
                  I have a record that plays from the inside out and one that never finishes (it was purposely made with a small scratch on the runout groove so it just skips all the time.) Remember 'A Porky Prime Cut?'
                  I Am The Beat by The Look does that with the word beat being repeated over and over.

(1981? Showing my age lol)

I also remember a group called Gaye Bikers On Acid who produced a limited edition version of one of their albums with no hole in the middle of the disc.

The name of the LP? "Drill Your Own Hole"

Comment

Working...
                  X