• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

pizza

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I haven't read that for years. You may have solved my what to take to read on the beach dilemma.

Comment

Its a classic - pay particular attention to the kind of talks about food that wanna be draft dodgers were having in the hospital, its exactly the same as in this thread...

Comment

Originally posted by PRC1964
        That was meant to be implied in my post.
        Look, there's no point pointing out the obvious to me, smartarse. I just can't read OK? I'm happy to point out other daleks for failing to understand the context of my posts, but other people telling me??!?!?! The dirty, dirty bastards...

(sorry..!)
        If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

I purchased the book "The Silver Spoon" advertised as the Italian cookbook for 50 years. It has some nice pizza recipes, making the base from scratch, takes 4-5 hours but worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
            making the base from scratch, takes 4-5 hours but worth it.
            So basically you start cooking again after you just finish your meal?

Comment

Well the actual cooking only takes 20 mins, the base needs to rise with the yeast for 3 hours! So you can make the dough and go do something else. Or drive to pizza hut and bin the dough.

Comment

Originally posted by hyperD
                Mr LB - after our last brief encounter on alimento italiano, I agree that the best pizzas are home made Italian pizza base (using strong organic Italian 00 flour), homemade passata made by boiling and condensing farm organic rich red tomatoes, olive oil and salt down to a rich red condensate, and then some mozzarella, pepper (and a dash of ricotta if you're feeling extravagant).
                Sounds delicious, hyperD. With pizza it is definitely the case that less is more. I trust you will be passing around samples at lunchtime? I will be first in the queue.

I'm an even simpler soul and don't even go with the passata. Sliced fresh pomodoro tomatoes, buffalo mozarella, freshly torn basil, drizzle of outstanding extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt and that's your lot for me (although sometimes I do like anchovy and black olives I have to be honest).

Now Franco, I remember you once said you liked the stuff Pizza Hut do. You were pulling our legs, weren't you? Don't shatter my illusions!

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                  Well the actual cooking only takes 20 mins, the base needs to rise with the yeast for 3 hours! So you can make the dough and go do something else. Or drive to pizza hut and bin the dough.
                  No no no no no no no no !

The pizza base, if made with raw ingredients: yeast, salt, sugar, flour, olive oil and water, should only take an hour to make (30 mins rise, 30 mins knock back).. enough time to down a few Birra Moretti...

Make your own passata (farm shop tomatoes, no skin (cross in skin, add boiling water and peel), olive oil, boiled to buggary in 30 mins

Bit of lightly fried garlic in olive oil, touch of mozzarella
                  and parmigiano reggiano and then... dove è il bagno, per favore, mi dispiace, non parlo italiano?

Home made pizza, costs like 20p, do it during you lunch break and you'll never, ever have a totally salt infested, GMO fat ridden, hormone enhanced Domino pizza again.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucifer Box
                    Sounds delicious, hyperD. With pizza it is definitely the case that less is more. I trust you will be passing around samples at lunchtime? I will be first in the queue.

I'm an even simpler soul and don't even go with the passata. Sliced fresh pomodoro tomatoes, buffalo mozarella, freshly torn basil, drizzle of outstanding extra virgin olive oil and a sprinkling of sea salt and that's your lot for me (although sometimes I do like anchovy and black olives I have to be honest).
                    Indeed sir, I took your advice and made plain Margarita pizzas and they were great. No need for toppings as you suggested.

Spookily just sent a post about pizzas about a minute ago - you must have eaten just like me - finishing off some bolognese sauce I made the weekend.
                    Last edited by hyperD; 14 August 2006, 21:05.

Comment

Alas, I can't stand pizzas and italian food in general. I despite any red, tomato-rich herb sauce*, hate pasta with a passion, and find the effort of chewing lumpy old dough a bit tiresome.

Why do people go so nuts over pasta ? It's wet, inspid, tasteless, bland rubber.

*red sauces, made with a little tomato and flavoured with spices is another matter...Cajun especially...
                      Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Working...
                      X