• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Hooray! Beckham to be dropped

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Personally, I think McLaren has shown a strong hand that says "I'm not interested in the Cult of Beckham, I'm interested in good, capable players. You've had your 15 mins in the slimelight, now feck off"

Quite right too.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C.S. Lewis

Comment

Originally posted by Board Game Geek
      Personally, I think McLaren has shown a strong hand that says "I'm not interested in the Cult of Beckham, I'm interested in good, capable players. You've had your 15 mins in the slimelight, now feck off"

Quite right too.
      Well of course that is the other slant on it. Personally, if I were an England fan I could live with that perspective if I could see an obvious Plan B, but I am not sure McLaren has one. Or even a Plan A for that matter.
      “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

Beckham has not performed in an England shirt for years. In the last Euro championships he got @rsey with a member of the press who suggested that he was not having a good turnament. I think he honestly belives that he is performing. The one thing I rember from Beckham during his time at United was his workrate. That seems to have gone completely. All he offeres the team is a few good long passes and the odd dead ball kick. He doesn't defend, we all saw that. He can't tackle and now seems loathed to run.

The Sven era will be seen as a massive waste of time and talent. The England team should have done better, but too many 'stars' knew that Sven would not drop them. The worst example of this was Beckham himself. Lennon provided a much greater threat than Beckham in that position but was only given a few small chances to show what he could do. Beckham, along with Lampard should have been dropped to the bench at least in the world cup, and would have been if we had a manager who had the balls to do it. Unfortunately we had Sven.
        Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Well, Beckham can't complain that he did not have chances under Sven - at the expense of others must I say, its only fair others take chance and try to prove themselves. This is the time to experiment because its not major competition time (when Sven experimented), so its only natural that tw@t Beckham was shown the door - I am pretty sure he is was unhappy more because of the blow to his vanity and profits (which will now drop because he is not captain and not in squad), rather than anything else.

Comment

Bloody hell Shaun. Be careful, you are in danger becoming credible!

I have to agree with you. Becks is still viable and offers a great deal more than pace up the wing.
            People lose sight of a number of facts:
            He draws at least 2 defenders as soon as he gets the ball.
            He is regarded as being one of the most field aware midfielders in the business.
            He is a pinpoint passer of the ball (he has been a bit off that lately).
            There are lots of other points too.

It seems to me that people hate him for obscure reasons. ie. He is ex Manure so the Manure haters don't like him.

I have to disagree with Alexei on a couple of other things too. His image is also part of his business so he changes his style as needed, not because he is showing off. Both he and his wife have been anything but publicity seeking and have tried very hard to be private people.
            He is one of the most commited players the England team has. When it comes to England his attitude is terrific.

There is so much more to say on this.

Maybe he doesnt fit McLarens scheme, but lets not cheer the departure of
            one of the best players England has seen in years. Instead let us applaud his talent, his commitment and his dignity in the job. He even got a round of applause from the press hacks and they are not easily impressed.
            I have even forgiven him for the Argentina incident.
            I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
            Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
              He is one of the most commited players the England team has. When it comes to England his attitude is terrific.
              When I seen Lennon, Rooney and some other guys they were giving 200% when trying to get the ball, have you seen Beckham being arsed to run and get the ball? He can't be because he gets it anyway for free kick and corner. Rooney has also got attitude problem (kick people into the kerb), but at least he is trying his best in the game itself - so this attitude can be ignored more or less, but Beckham is just an overpaid tw@t whose personal vanity gets much higher priority than needs of the team.

IMO all managers should avoid creating cult of such starts - first for money reasons, and secondly to avoid high dependency on one person: when I get my football team (maybe Celtic to piss off shaun-bhoy) I will make sure that there is no single player that is a start its a team and reserves should not be never changed, everyone must play regularly.

Comment

Oh Alexei, so much to learn and so little time.

Running around like a twat doesnt make you a great footballer, particularly if it leaves you out of position or creates a hole in the defence. The manager may also have a strategy that stops people chasing the ball.

Nobody creates these stars, they are extremely talented and attract addoring fans. Who can blame them for making the most of that?

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                  Who can blame them for making the most of that?
                  I think Owen scored more internationally than Beckham, and he is a humble nice person who is not a tw@t, which Beckham certainly is - selfish tw@t at the expense of the team. His removal from team has got more with the bad attitude he shown, than his actual abilities (that are declining as people pointed out).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                    I think Owen scored more internationally than Beckham, and he is a humble nice person who is not a tw@t, which Beckham certainly is - selfish tw@t at the expense of the team. His removal from team has got more with the bad attitude he shown, than his actual abilities (that are declining as people pointed out).
                    As I said, so much to learn! Owen is a striker, it is his job to score. Beckham is a midfielder, it is his job to set up goals. Owen should have a better strike rate.
                    I don't see how you get the idea Becks is selfish or that he has a bad attitude or that he is a twat.
                    He is certainly slowing down, but he is still the best English man for his position and replacing him for the sake of it to make a point is stupid.

I suspect there is something else going on behind the scenes.

Smith and Wesson.

Comment

I'm a man u fan but not a Beckham one anymore. I thought he was good while at Old Trafford, but something happened to him. I really think he started to go for his own hype. I would have loved nothing more than to see the Beckham of old turn up and win the world cup. Unfortunately it wasn't to be. Look at what he did in the world cup. One free kick goal and a couple of passes. Then look at what he didn't do. He can't tackle or defend and cost England on a couple of occasions because of it. But it is not juts this world cup. He was hopeless in the Euro campaign 2 years earlier. The same is true for the wc before, but that was down to the injury. Another problem with Beckham was his constant desire to play in the middle. How many times did the play break down on the right because he had gone walkabout.

The simple fact is, Beckham knew that there was no way on earth that he would be dropped because Sven would not do that to him. As for replacements, Lennon did pretty well. Wright Phillips has offered more in that position. I think dropping him might be a good think if it gives him the kick up the @rse he needs. Nobody has said that he can't regain his place.
                      Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Working...
                      X