• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The so called UK economic recovery

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    A bit over £3bn from the figures I can find, which is approximately 0.2% of GDP. Is that really "huge"? Obviously it would be better if it went the other way, but it can hardly be the defining factor as BP suggests.

Here are figures I found. United Kingdom Balance of Trade | Actual Data | Forecasts | Calendar

About -£3bn. but Isn't that a monthly figure?
    McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
    Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
      Here are figures I found. United Kingdom Balance of Trade | Actual Data | Forecasts | Calendar

About -£3bn. but Isn't that a monthly figure?
      Yes but not cumulative. I don't think the trade deficit per se is amongst the UK's problems.

Comment

Originally posted by centurian View Post
        To be fair, George tried to create a genuine recovery in the first few years.

But that didn't work...

So now he's gone back to the tried and tested, good old fashioned method of a debt fuelled, house price driven boom and bust.
        +1

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
          The fact that so much of it depends on the central bank keeping interest rates low is not a positive sign.
          It's only low rates for the bank to have super high margins they could never dream of.

For the ordinary folk there is Wonga.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
            It's only low rates for the bank to have super high margins they could never dream of.

For the ordinary folk there is Wonga.

HTH
            And one day you WILL be accepted for that Wonga sofa loan.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              The economic recovery is based on the stock markets and investment banks' performance but not on industrial output and wages. The UK 'economy' no longer needs the input from UK workers because banks now make their profits by investing in China, India and world commodities & food production.
              I don't believe there is much correlation between the stock market and economic recovery i.e. GDP growth, certainly not for the UK stock market where a big chunk of those listed companies' profits are made abroad.

The current 'recovery' would seem to be consumption led which may explain why personal debt is rising.

I can't remember where I read it this weekend but apparently UK companies' levels of investment are at the lowest since the 1950s. If we're to stage any long term recovery it has to be more investment led rather than consumer led but this often hasn't been the case in the UK historically.

It's no coincidence that the FTSE 100 companies have record amounts of cash on their balance sheets. Maybe it's lack of confidence but they don't want to invest and a lot of the surplus cash they are generating is being paid out to shareholders as 'special dividends.'

Meanwhile the illusory feel good factor of artificially stimulated rising house prices is lulling people into building up debt again. In the USA people have paid down a lot bigger percentage of their debts over the last few years than the UK for example.

Comment

Originally posted by lilelvis2000 View Post
                Many parts of the UK will probably never recover.

That's a ludicrous statement. Everywhere adapts and changes over time.

Comment

Originally posted by Zero Liability View Post
                  The fact that so much of it depends on the central bank keeping interest rates low is not a positive sign.

I think it's even worse for those who hold the UK's debt though, since it's inflating it away.
                  You mean sasguru? hahahahaha. Keep racking up the debts folks - they will all be inflating away. All sassy will have for his years of "hard work" is a bald head and a heart attack.

Comment

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/dcp171778_299174.pdf

https://www.moneysmart.gov.au/scams/.../ponzi-schemes
                    Last edited by Paddy; 1 December 2013, 19:04.
                    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Last edited by Paddy; 1 December 2013, 19:03.
                      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Working...
                      X