• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can we have a government shutdown as well?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Wasn't it only last year they did this, or something similar, because they'd hit a limit on spending which required both sides to allow to be increased?
    Didn't they patch up an 11th hour deal last year?

But the BBC article says it did happen 17 years ago. So it obviously isn't the end of the World.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Didn't they patch up an 11th hour deal last year?

But the BBC article says it did happen 17 years ago. So it obviously isn't the end of the World.
      The 'other' small issue is the country runs out of money on the 17th. This situation could result in a technical default on the USA's debt's.

As for sending all non-essential civil servants home in the UK I doubt anyone would notice for quite some time that they'd stopped working. At least half of the civil service staff on site here do absolutely flip-all.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
        The 'other' small issue is the country runs out of money on the 17th. This situation could result in a technical default on the USA's debt's.

As for sending all non-essential civil servants home in the UK I doubt anyone would notice for quite some time that they'd stopped working. At least half of the civil service staff on site here do absolutely flip-all.
        Why does the government employ 'non-essential' people?
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Cheaper than keeping them in a home for 'special people' (You really do have to see some of these 'civil servants' at work to understand).

This is a replay of a conversation I overheard in the smoking area ...

"Hello, I thought you were on leave."

"No, I've been on a training course for the last two days."

"Oh lovely, what's the course about?"

"I don't know."

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
            Cheaper than keeping them in a home for 'special people' (You really do have to see some of these 'civil servants' at work to understand).

This is a replay of a conversation I overheard in the smoking area ...

"Hello, I thought you were on leave."

"No, I've been on a training course for the last two days."

"Oh lovely, what's the course about?"

"I don't know."
            Well, I did a stint at the Dutch social security office and one at a Dutch provincial government and concluded that both could be closed down with minimal effect and replaced by a Bob that kicks off a batch job once a month.

Comment

Well, I did a stint at the Dutch social security office and one at a Dutch provincial government and concluded that both could be closed down with minimal effect and replaced by a Bob that kicks off a batch job once a month.
              <Rubs chin>Plan B? bobsbatchjobs.com</Rubs chin>
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                That was the debt ceiling, which is the one that's up in a couple of weeks. This is the budget.

It would be good to have some kind of restrictions on future UK governments that they at least have to make the books balance. Perhaps it's another area where the BoE need to get involved to ensure the long term future of the economy isn't sabotaged by politicians looking to buy votes: I.e. the BoE dictates the total budget, and the politicians get to decide where to spend it, rather than the current system where a party with a majority can flip everything up for decades and nobody can stop them.
                You need a strong, elected upper house to do that. Even so, that doesn't guarantee it will happen - George W Bush had a republican house and senate which meant that he could push through massive tax breaks for the rich, turning a surplus into a deficit.

Having regular elections for different portions of the houses of parliament would be handy, though, so rather than the regular replacement of the whole house of commons, you replace a quarter each year, so that the current opinion is reflected in the commons. The downsides of that are that you have politicians constantly campaigning, rather than doing work, and you need a separate head of government.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Because there are tasks which need to be done, but aren't essential.

For example, if you are at war, you have essential staff such as those doing the actual fighting. You also have civilian staff who do the payroll, who aren't essential in the same way, but are necessary for the essential staff to get the job done. Same with everyday policing - you have essential staff on the beat, and non-essentials doing the rest of the work to support the front-line staff.

Maybe front-line is a better term than essential.
                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I hadn't really understood this 'pwned' expression until I read DirtyDog's post.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDog View Post
                    Because there are tasks which need to be done, but aren't essential.

For example, if you are at war, you have essential staff such as those doing the actual fighting. You also have civilian staff who do the payroll, who aren't essential in the same way, but are necessary for the essential staff to get the job done. Same with everyday policing - you have essential staff on the beat, and non-essentials doing the rest of the work to support the front-line staff.

Maybe front-line is a better term than essential.
                    Yes; the rest you've described are 'essential'.

Comment

We already have

Volunteers are replacing paid workers at an alarming rate.
                      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                      X