• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car thread

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    When I started driving, cars had a little knob you could pull out and in,coaxing and teasing until it revved to your satisfaction. If you pulled it too hard, it would flood, and you had to wait for it to recover before you could start again. It was called the choke.

potw

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      I think you could easily hang a handbag on me. But apparently many men in their 40s would struggle.
      But of course.

Actually though, the couple of men I've met [ahem] in their early 40s were incredibly - what's the word - virile?
      Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Male equivalent of the pencil test?

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
          But of course.

Actually though, the couple of men I've met [ahem] in their early 40s were incredibly - what's the word - virile?
          Well, look at it this way; a motor car might start out with a high performance engine, but if it isn't serviced regularly and provided with the finest fuels it's going to turn into a clapped out old banger. But with regular servicing by an expert practitioner it can give a lifetime of pleasure and convincingly outperform newer but less capable offerings.
          And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Well, look at it this way; a motor car might start out with a high performance engine, but if it isn't serviced regularly and provided with the finest fuels it's going to turn into a clapped out old banger. But with regular servicing by an expert practitioner it can give a lifetime of pleasure and convincingly outperform newer but less capable offerings.
            Be right back.
            Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
            +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Some cars are designed to be driven hard and fast, others slow and leisurely, taking their time to get to the destination. A really good car adapts to the mood of the driver.

Comment

Some cars are designed to be driven hard and fast, others slow and leisurely, taking their time to get to the destination. A really good car adapts to the mood of the driver.
                When looking at classic models, you really need to decide whether to choose the power and the deep dark baritone sounds of a V8 engine that can offer great thrusts of power and acceleration, or the smooth, effortless speed and perfect pitch of a V12. In recent years, some manufacturers have tried to combine these characteristics in V10 engines, but there is some disagreement as to whether they've succeeded.

Comment

Trouble is many of the better cars are electrically powered these days .....

Comment

Give a girl a break! I'm going to have to go home early at this rate.

+5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
                      Give a girl a break! I'm going to have to go home early at this rate.

You might on the other hand choose a supercharged V8; I shan't bore you with the intricate workings of a supercharger, but it involves blowing at high pressure to ensure more complete combustion.

Comment

Working...
                      X