• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LinkedIn Oops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post

I forgot to highlight what I was asking about - i.e. why he was there in the first place. I've never accepted a pimps request for lunch, dinner, or coffee. I'd never visit their offices. It won't make a scrap of difference to my future opportunities and I have no interest in passing them contact names.

Nor would it make me feel all important to have a meeting with a pimp, which is the way some of the posters on here appear to see it.

Rant over.
    No I quite agree however it just seems to be the way with some - both Hays and Lorien have asked me to visit a local office in the past so they can count my heads.

I'd never do the lunch, coffee thing though as they are utterly pointless and we just don't live (or trade) in that world any more. Pimps have one use for me and it doesn't involve a special relationship unless it equals more £££ per day.
    Permietractor (probably)

Comment

I forgot to highlight what I was asking about - i.e. why he was there in the first place. I've never accepted a pimps request for lunch, dinner, or coffee. I'd never visit their offices. It won't make a scrap of difference to my future opportunities and I have no interest in passing them contact names.

Nor would it make me feel all important to have a meeting with a pimp, which is the way some of the posters on here appear to see it.

Rant over.
      I use two agencies. They find me work, I earn them money. I have good relationships with them and I very occasionally get taken out for meals. None of this makes me feel important whatsoever, it's just life. You obviously deal with the wrong pimps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mephisto View Post
        No I quite agree however it just seems to be the way with some - both Hays and Lorien have asked me to visit a local office in the past so they can count my heads.

I'd never do the lunch, coffee thing though as they are utterly pointless and we just don't live (or trade) in that world any more. Pimps have one use for me and it doesn't involve a special relationship unless it equals more £££ per day.
        I did read your post in reply to my question, but was enjoying the rant. I've never been asked to do that, so hadn't considered it.

I suppose it depends entirely on the role you're in, too. I'm confident enough that if something came up in my area, I'd get a look in somewhere along the line regardless of how much time I'd spent f2f with pimps.
        Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
        +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
          I use two agencies. They find me work, I earn them money. I have good relationships with them and I very occasionally get taken out for meals. None of this makes me feel important whatsoever, it's just life. You obviously deal with the wrong pimps.
          I deal with anyone who has the role, or go direct wherever possible. Not sure on your logic with your last point, but I'll let you have it!
          Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
          +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

If it's wall to wall totty, they are more than welcome to take a look at mine...

If the agency are paying and it's not out of my way, then I wouldn't be fussed. Had lunch with one and a quick afternoon drink with another, which was time I still billed. I get evening Christmas invites from some agencies every year, and the thought of travelling to London to spend an evening watching people I don't know or like get pissed isn't high on my bucket list.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I forgot to highlight what I was asking about - i.e. why he was there in the first place. I've never accepted a pimps request for lunch, dinner, or coffee.
              I will accept any request that involves them paying for something.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                I will accept any request that involves them paying for something.
                Even if it means sitting opposite a tosspot and making small talk?

Literally my idea of hell.
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
                  There's some cracking lady recruiters out there!

It obviously attracts a certain type of young woman. .
                  Yeah, thick bimbos.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

I deal with anyone who has the role, or go direct wherever possible. Not sure on your logic with your last point, but I'll let you have it!
                    Even if it means sitting opposite a tosspot and making small talk?

Literally my idea of hell.
                    That's the logic of my last point, that you obviously deal with the wrong pimps. I find the agents I deal with these days quite agreeable.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
                      That's the logic of my last point, that you obviously deal with the wrong pimps. I find the agents I deal with these days quite agreeable.
                      Ah, I see what you mean. I guess I'd interpret that to mean that you must also be an enormous tosspot.

There is no such thing, in my view, as an agreeable agent. I invariably now only deal with the more senior pimps, and find them to be as w@nky as their junior colleagues.
                      +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Working...
                      X