• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder why ?: More Britons target foreign move

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try Croatia... I don't think my farmers have ever recovered...
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
      I saw an upside down BMW on the Brussels Ring Road about 7am a few weeks back.

Another one of those grass is greener things is people saying how terrrible British roads are because of low standards/under investment/British workers don't care etc. But actually, try Belgium.
      I would agree with the "grass is greener" issue. Many who move think all is going to be rosy based on 2 weeks in a resort or city break. Or based on complete myths. No long term considerations.
      Even when a place has "the weather" or "the lifestyle" or "no chavs" and those places do exist, you still have a number of barriers which make it much more difficult to live there than people think.
      Good luck to those who manage, but for many it is a frying pan, fire situation.

I also think it is pointless arguing over why people left based on some dodgy survey data. People dont always answer honestly and may give a positive answer even though deep down there is another reason for leaving.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by Bovvered
        Great survey. One of the options was clearly not what people were actually thinking, but a PC comment straight out of the do-gooders handbook.

If there were options saying, "fed up of immigration", "fed up of anti-social behaviour", "fed up of the victims of crime being the victims of justic", I wonder how many people would have ticked those boxes?

Which equals not liking what Britain had become DUR !

Comment

Just the one? Must have been a very quiet morning then.

Comment

The UK

I have my issues with the UK, but looking at everything in perspective is a must when deciding whether to emigrate or not.

Your happiness elsewhere will depend on quite a few things. I think a lot of people interperet a desire for change as a reason to emigrate but fail to realise that the reason they are so miserable is not the UK, its themselves.

It sometimes takes an extended sojourn overseas to put things in perspective. Many of my fellow countryman where whinging about SA when they left, spent a few years here and either went back with their tails between their legs, or went back willingly becuase they weighed up the good and the bad and decided that they would rather live there, and put up with all the associated cr@p, becuase the benefits outweighed the positives.

I went through a funny phase a while back. I live in tower hamlets, its summer, so it smells, there are chavs everywhere quaffing KFC with their mouths open, sirens police , tiny flats etc and I was getting pretty depressed.

A mate was over from Minsk, and I went with him to London Bridge and we watched a free openair jazz concert which was brilliant. He said to me that nothing like this ever happens where he is from and he would love to live here because there is so much to do and see, so many opportunities etc. He has lived here before so he know the drill and he is talking based on his experiences in both places.

All it really took was his words to twig in my head to realise that you and you alone make yourself happy, its not really to do with a place, bar extreme circumstances and events.

When I was younger I used to work in a beach bar in Cape Town. Funky house tunes, 100 m away facing the sea, all the drinks I wanted, being chatted up by beautiful girls, enough money to live quite comfortably, lots of free time. The evening sessions where Ibiza'esque in their perfection.

All I wanted to do was get to London, so I could get a job in IT and make money and consequently was miserable a large part of the time and I really didnt appreciate what I had at the time. I now pay 4 times more tax than my monthly salary there at the time, but I would be lying if I said that made me any happier or I feel any bigger sense of well being because of it.

We are constantly told whats bad and negative, every news item has a negative slant making us fearful, paranoid and ultimately shaping our perception of the world around us.

The UK is not a bad place to live, like everywhere else it has its bad points but I think the media make it out to be much worse than it actually is.

Sunny "Tony B is still a tw@t though" San
            There are no evil thoughts except one: the refusal to think

Comment

Aye SS

Life is what you make it, and its true that you cant run away from yourself.

For some odd reason whilst reading your comments a couple of Old tunes from the Smiths camce back to me

Clumsy and shy I went to london and died
              I booked myself in at the YWCA
              I said I like it here can I stay
              and do you have a vacancy for a back scrubber."

I was happy in the haze of a drunken hour
              But heaven knows I'm miserable now

I was looking for a job, and then I found a job
              And heaven knows I'm miserable now

In my life
              Why do I give valuable time
              To people who don't care if I live or die ?

Two lovers entwined pass me by
              And heaven knows I'm miserable now

As merry as the days were long
              I was right and you were wrong

Back at the old grey school
              I would win and you would lose

But you've got everything now
              and what a terrible mess I've made of my life

No, I've never had a job
              because I've never wanted one

I've seen you smile
              but I've never really heard you laugh

So who is rich and who is poor?

Comment

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
                I hear more English being spoken in Holland than in England.
                I also hear more English being spoken in Denmark than in England.

I can go into a corner shop, petrol station, W.H.Y., in Denmark and speak English and be understood. Why not in England? It is just another one of those truely bizarre things.
                Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
                threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
                  I also hear more English being spoken in Denmark than in England.

I can go into a corner shop, petrol station, W.H.Y., in Denmark and speak English and be understood. Why not in England? It is just another one of those truely bizarre things.
                  That's because your version of English has it's roots in Doncaster tha noze

Comment

Another one of those grass is greener things is people saying how terrrible British roads are because of low standards/under investment/British workers don't care etc. But actually, try Belgium.
                    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5241762.stm

British motorists are the most uptight in Europe, the Belgians the most laid-back, and the French top the league for road rage, figures suggest.
                    The survey comes as the RAC Foundation warns Britons driving abroad this summer to take care, with UK tourists in far greater danger on foreign roads.

Comment

Should that be

Originally posted by DimPrawn
                      British are the most uptight in Europe.....
                      If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                      X