• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Immigration - social trouble on its way

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bagpuss
    What the hell are you talking about? I resent the implication that 'Northerners' are scroungers and being proped up by the south. Maybe this is true of some run down areas of the north east and samll areas Yorkshire/humberside where heavy industry was, but on the whole it is not.

Consider this..
    "Recently described by the Financial Times as a genuine rival to 'overheated London' the North West is one of the most vibrant and dynamic parts of the UK. "
    Yes the FT, but what would they know? Apparently this must be the benefit money! Rather than the local thriving private sector economy.
    Did you read my post?
    I am pure Lancastrian.
    I said we fill our own menial jobs (mostly) without relying on imports, but the fact is that there is high unemployment in some areas. I see lots of locals fighting over street sweeper, till driver or burger flipper jobs just to have a job. There are not enough of those jobs to go round and there are very few "large" employers.
    The inverse seems to be true in the South in that there are large amounts of skilled jobs being filled locally and large amounts of menial jobs being filled by imports because the locals have "proper" work.

P.S. Lets stop telling those Southern softy, shandy drinking, soft as tulipe poofters how good it is up here or they will move in and ruin the place.
    I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
    Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
      Did you read my post?
      I am pure Lancastrian.
      I said we fill our own menial jobs (mostly) without relying on imports, but the fact is that there is high unemployment in some areas. I see lots of locals fighting over street sweeper, till driver or burger flipper jobs just to have a job. There are not enough of those jobs to go round and there are very few "large" employers.
      The inverse seems to be true in the South in that there are large amounts of skilled jobs being filled locally and large amounts of menial jobs being filled by imports because the locals have "proper" work.

P.S. Lets stop telling those Southern softy, shandy drinking, soft as tulipe poofters how good it is up here or they will move in and ruin the place.

Sorry I skimmed it, I just get p1ssed off by the perception that me and mine have been taking the p1ss. I work hard posting on forums all day I'll have you know.

Now I'm off to feed my whippets some beef dripping, oh sh1t!
      The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

In short, large scale immigration is not the answer to solving high unemployment.

Large scale immigration from significantly poorer countries is only the answer to creating and maintaining synthetically low paid jobs.

Large scale immigration does not :-

Take any account of housing problems created as a result.
        Take any account of the negative social implications.
        Take any account of the strains it puts on public services.

If there is a genuine skills shortage (evidence for which is extremely questionable), large scale immigration is not the only solution worthy of consideration. Where it is the only solution on the table, it is because the real motives are not just to fill a claimed skills gap.

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
          If there is a genuine skills shortage (evidence for which is extremely questionable), large scale immigration is not the only solution worthy of consideration.
          Agreed. What happened to education*3?

Comment

Working...
          X