• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

A general discussion on Tor

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question for the experts on the panel - can you use one of these dark web type things to access people's facebook accounts without them being aware?? Sorry if that's a stupid question
    Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
      A question for the experts on the panel - can you use one of these dark web type things to access people's facebook accounts without them being aware?? Sorry if that's a stupid question
      What do you mean by "access"? Do you mean log in as them? If so, then no - the TOR service itself doesn't bypass log in systems for normal websites.
      What you will find, however, are lots of people selling services to gather those log in details for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Ticktock View Post
        What do you mean by "access"? Do you mean log in as them? If so, then no - the TOR service itself doesn't bypass log in systems for normal websites.
        What you will find, however, are lots of people selling services to gather those log in details for you.
        So it is possible for people to view what's on your facebook account without being recognised as a 'friend' - can you tell I don't have a Facebook account

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Not quite Lisa. Someone viewing Facebook via TOR would still be subject to the same restrictions as a regular user. So if you had your privacy settings locked down tighter than my agent's wallet they would see naff all.

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
            So it is possible for people to view what's on your facebook account without being recognised as a 'friend' - can you tell I don't have a Facebook account
            Ah, I see.

As far as viewing profiles goes, the short answer is that it depends on the security settings chosen by a user for their profile as to whether it can be viewed by anyone, or just their friends. Probably the easiest way to gain viewing rights to a locked down profile would be to look at someone's current friendlist, grab a profile photo from the friend, set up a new Facebook account in the friend's name, and upload their photo, then send a friend invite to your target. If they say they already have you added, just say "Yeah, I locked my account so set this one up to use while I get the old one unlocked".
            Of course, as technically this may be identity theft, I wouldn't actually recommend it... just saying you could do it.
            Last edited by Ticktock; 6 August 2013, 16:16. Reason: Deleted a load of bollocks I made up

Comment

Thanks guys - that's put my mind at rest a bit

Follow us on Twitter.

Comment

Working...
              X