• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Zero hours contracts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    It is still a choice. It is also a choice to learn a skill and get a job that is in demand. If kids were lazy at school and have come out with poor qualifications then that is the choice they have made. If someone takes up missionary work in africa instead of taking a zero hour contract then it is a choice.

You will find that many people on zero hour contracts accept that this type of work is available and thus they are happy.They know that if they work hard and learn they can then start to control their own destiny and begin to get themselves in demand.
    What would be very unpalatable would be for all these spoilt pampered "intellectual" do gooding liberals to have their way and have this type of job banned, even if it meant that there would be no jobs at all.

You lot really do not understand the concept of choice do you?
    I agree with dodgy - you all seem to be missing the point - nobody is forcing anybody to take a zero hours contract.

They exist because people take them - and some people like them - I do not think anyone sees them as anything but a stop gap - and if they do they are simply not thinking about it.

Interestingly enough I recall about 12 months ago a load of next employees (who had been around with next for a few years or so) moaning about the fact they got low salaries and minimal opportunites to progress - the then MD of next (who was a bit of a tw@ truth be told..) did say that why would he want to change that when for every vacancy he had 100 applicatants.

Fact is working in retail on a shop floor does not have much in the way of career progression - mainly because any muppet with half a brain to operate the till and a basic ability to treat customers like human beings can be good at it.

Comment

It is still a choice. It is also a choice to learn a skill and get a job that is in demand. If kids were lazy at school and have come out with poor qualifications then that is the choice they have made. If someone takes up missionary work in africa instead of taking a zero hour contract then it is a choice.

You will find that many people on zero hour contracts accept that this type of work is available and thus they are happy.They know that if they work hard and learn they can then start to control their own destiny and begin to get themselves in demand.
      What would be very unpalatable would be for all these spoilt pampered "intellectual" do gooding liberals to have their way and have this type of job banned, even if it meant that there would be no jobs at all.

I understand that under capitalism there will always be winners and losers.

Are you happy that your tax money is going to subsidise industry in the form of tax credits?

It also gets overlooked that lower paid workers tend to fairly quickly return any money they have back into the economy and until their prospects improve, the economy will be a long way from getting better.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        So you would prefer them to stay on the dole?

One of the biggest users of zero hours contracts is the state including the NHS.

With the NHS some of the people involved are bank staff i.e. nurses and nursing assistants who actually are just working extra in the same or a different hospital to make more money.

However there are also care workers who deal with the elderly and disabled on zero hours contracts through agencies.

Point is zero hours contracts work for some people but not for others, and the fall out can be bigger than just the worker involved.
        It is not a question of what I would prefer (and you should know my views on being on the dole). I am simply trying to explain the concept of choice. The UK is not (yet) a totalitarian state with a planned economy though having said this under Caucescu's Romania anyone not working was slammed in jail for 6 months. In Romania if someone did not have a job they had to find one. If they did not they would receive no money from the state (there was no unemployment and little starvation) as well as going to prison. Even under this regime the people had choices.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
          I understand that under capitalism there will always be winners and losers.

Are you happy that your tax money is going to subsidise industry in the form of tax credits?

It also gets overlooked that lower paid workers tend to fairly quickly return any money they have back into the economy and until their prospects improve, the economy will be a long way from getting better.
          whereas under any other system there are no winners other than government officials.
          What has my tax arrangements got to do with any of this?
          Then perhaps you could explain the link between my taxes and industry subsidies and then argue the toss as to whether it is good/bad. In this argument you can give arguments with evidence to back them up and whilst you are at it put your point into the context of alternative policies and choices that are available. Explain what conclusion you want to draw from your lazy cliche.

If you would like to know I am not happy about paying any tax unless it is spent hanging liberal lefties.
          Last edited by DodgyAgent; 5 August 2013, 15:23.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Well said that man
            Connect with me on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter.

ContractorUK Best Forum Advisor 2015

Comment

And what makes you think they do not like working on these jobs? and I am sorry but it is fair unless you have a better alternative - which I presume would amount to state interference.
              They love it really!!!

Or else they don't get paid

Comment

Originally posted by LisaContractorUmbrella View Post
                Why is there no choice?
                Not enough good jobs around thanks to anti-jobs Govt policies such as too high taxes on employment?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Not enough good jobs around thanks to anti-jobs Govt policies such as too high taxes on employment?
                  When do you want my Romanian IT engineers to start?

Comment

whereas under any other system there are no winners other than government officials.
                    What has my tax arrangements got to do with any of this?
                    Then perhaps you could explain the link between my taxes and industry subsidies and then argue the toss as to whether it is good/bad. In this argument you can give arguments with evidence to back them up and whilst you are at it put your point into the context of alternative policies and choices that are available. Explain what conclusion you want to draw from your lazy cliche.

If you would like to know I am not happy about paying any tax unless it is spent hanging liberal lefties.
                    I know you work in recruitment so I will try and put in some keywords:

Assuming you pay tax (either direct through earnings, VAT, etc.), this goes to the government who then pay some of it out back out in Tax Credits to low earners. If industry paid enough in wages, the Government wouldn't have to pay this out meaning either you paid less tax or it could be spent on other things (delete as appropriate).

Comment

When do you want my Romanian IT engineers to start?
                      Yesterday if you got them available -

Price - £ neg.

Comment

Working...
                      X