• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How much do I tell recruitment agencies?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Look, the simplest way to deal with agents is to understand their role. Effectively, they're pimps. Pimps are never to be trusted, ever.

Lie to them, as much as you can. Obfuscate, blur, dilute, do everything you can. Discuss someone else's role as though it was your own.

Pimps. That's all and you should never trust a pimp.

Comment

Have you applied for any other roles?
      Not exactly. I only started actively looking recently.

How far are you down the process of applying for another role?
      I just uploaded my CV and mostly people have been contacting me.

So how are you finding the market at the moment?
      Well you know how it is... Always talking to people about potential work but it's hard to tell until you start actively looking. I'm really pleased with the response so far though. How about you?

I see. So is there any companies I should avoid contacting, that you may have applied to or are speaking to about "potential work"?
      Not at the moment, but I expect you will run the role by me before submitting my CV anyway, right?

So I see you worked at xxxx, I know a few people there. Who was it you worked for?
      Yeah I did, but I can't give out the name because they hate being cold called [by agents] and I wouldn't do that to them.

Um.. <cough> no that's not what I meant.
      So do you want to tell me about the job spec.?

Other stuff: Always establish that the agent has been properly engaged by the client before agreeing to be put forward. Do not make a play of this being your first contract. Stay cool. Do not commit to a rate up front - it depends on the role/client/location/terms, etc. - give an indication if you must but always make it subject to offer so you have room for negotiation when that offer comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by Angrybunny View Post
        I only started looking today, so no.

As above, I only started looking today.

It's perfectly true as well - I stop looking for a contract at the end of each day, and then start the next day.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

So I finally decided to quit my perm job for contracting.
          I am getting these sort of questions for recruitment agencies:

I understand they don't want to waste their time trying to get my role if I accept one elsewhere.
          Equally I want to apply for lots of roles so I there is more chance I will get offered one and it's nice to have a choice.

I've had a couple of phone interviews but no face to face interviews as yet, but likely will have one soon.

So far I've been honest with the agencies, telling them I am applying for other positions. However as I get further down the application process, I'm worried I'll put off agencies from putting me forward for other positions if I remain being so honest.

Am I over thinking this? ( I am a newbie at contracting )

Mark
          Tell them whatever you think will incentivise them to find you work. It not be true. Find out as much information as you can but make sure every agent you speak to is led to believe that he has an exclusive on you.
          When you adopt this technique you then qualify as a bast""d contractor like the rest of them.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Tell them feckin' nothing.

Then spring the 'serious other interest' chat when you have seen the client and they are about to make an offer.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              Tell them whatever you think will incentivise them to find you work. It not be true. Find out as much information as you can but make sure every agent you speak to is led to believe that he has an exclusive on you.
              When you adopt this technique you then qualify as a bast""d contractor like the rest of them.
              ^This

Think about what the agent wants:
              There are different playbooks for different economic climates. The last few years telling an agent that you have nothing else to go on would get your rate screwed in 9 out of 10 cases.
              In good times telling an agency that you have plenty on the go would secure you a same day interview and possibly a high offer, but in the last few years it would almost always ensure your CV goes in the bin.

So match your requirements with your words.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Why? If I didn't get the job and I like the agent (its a rarity but there are 3 or so I like dealing with) I'm happy to give them other companies who employ contractors.
                I might do that one day if I ever meet an agent I like. She'd have to be a stunner and dirty though.

Comment

Thanks for the advice chaps, basically I need to think of agencies as pimps I get it!

Comment

Like all business relationships, your relations with agents are based upon trust. If you trust someone, you are not going to lie to them are you ? It's a no-brainer.
                    Treat them with fairness and respect and it will be reciprocated, the work will come flooding in and you wearisome permie days will be behind you.
                    In all my years I have never had a single problem that these guys are doom-saying about. Well, apart from one, where the agent got my interview details and undercut me with a student straight out of Cardiff university. And then there was the time that I was sent 350 miles for an overnight stay and an interview that I was not qualified for. So yes, tell the bastids nothing, if you have to say anything, make it up and make the swines suffer. It's a no-brainer

(\__/)
                    (>'.'<)
                    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                      Not exactly. I only started actively looking recently.

I just uploaded my CV and mostly people have been contacting me.

Well you know how it is... Always talking to people about potential work but it's hard to tell until you start actively looking. I'm really pleased with the response so far though. How about you?

Not at the moment, but I expect you will run the role by me before submitting my CV anyway, right?[/I]

Yeah I did, but I can't give out the name because they hate being cold called [by agents] and I wouldn't do that to them.

So do you want to tell me about the job spec.?

Other stuff: Always establish that the agent has been properly engaged by the client before agreeing to be put forward. Do not make a play of this being your first contract. Stay cool. Do not commit to a rate up front - it depends on the role/client/location/terms, etc. - give an indication if you must but always make it subject to offer so you have room for negotiation when that offer comes along.
                      Wow, thanks. Going to use all of these.

I have fell foul of all of these questions in the past few days. I dare say my previous employers are cursing my name.

Comment

Working...
                      X