• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Train+taxi or drive to client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Yeh. Previously did 75 mins each way a few years ago. I know some people don't mind but I did find it did my chunk in every day.

I'm sure train will do my chunk in too (especially if we get delays etc) but I aint too keen on having little kip and driving too far. Luckily, Mrs is off obviously and is more than happy to do it all pretty much but still....

Season ticket for 7 days saves about £4 a day (ie. using for 5 days as opposed to buying 5 tickets every day) so prob not worth the hassle. That way drive if I feel like or train if I feel like.
    A monthly season ticket will be even cheaper. In the current gig, I started off with weekly tickets for the first couple of weeks, and once I got into the contract work, I bought monthly passes. That £4+ saving can go into taxi fares
    I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

I do cardiff-Bristol-Cardiff daily by car and it's a bit of a bind. I work in filton
      And the traffic on the a38 round Aztec
      West is seriously congested these days.
      Typically 20 minutes to do 1/2 mile. If
      Your in the city it can quite easily take
      You an hour to cross it during rush hour.
      The variable speed limits on the m4 and
      Regular accidents can also seriously lengthen the journey

Comment

The advantage of catching a train is that if there are delays, you can still blame someone else, and people will sympathise with you.

If you drive and are late, you can't blame anyone else, and people will blame you for being late.

Take the train.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Buy a monthly season ticket - if the gig gets cancelled early, you took a business risk and it didn't pay off, helping your IR35 situation.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

The 7:25 from Cardiff gets pretty busy - if you're getting on after Newport then forget the luxury of a seat.

I did the commute for a good six months without too much hassle, but as I worked on the business park by the side of TM it was a two minute walk for me.

If you do drive, come into the city via the M48 and Portway. It's not brilliant but it better than trying to get down the A38 or M32.

And one more thing PC. Learn to speak proper Bristle or nun'll ave ideal wha youer sayin.

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
              And one more thing PC. Learn to speak proper Bristle or nun'll ave ideal wha youer sayin.
              Brizzle
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                The 7:25 from Cardiff gets pretty busy - if you're getting on after Newport then forget the luxury of a seat.
                I used to drive to Bristol Parkway (from Oxfordshire) and then get the 10 min trains to Temple Meads. The mornings were actually quite pleasant as the 8:55 train would be empty and it was nice to sit, have a cup of coffee and a croissant and read the Metro after having driven for an hour. But the evenings would be horrendous, it was always jammed full and I'd end up standing next to the toilet with 12 other sweaty blokes. 10 minutes of that a day was enough for me.

But what I remember well is seeing the Cardiff train leave just before mine every evening. It was unbelievable; something you only ever see on those documentaries about Indian railways. If they'd let people on the roof, they would have been using it. Must have been hell on earth going all the way to Cardiff like that every day.

Yes it's true that in a car you can't read, or work, or snooze, but having your own personal space and being able to listen to music, or the radio or whatever, and being able to sit comfortably (which at 6 foot I can't do in most trains) is so much better. It's much more relaxing that way.

Trains: just say no!
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  Brizzle
                  Not round Sint Gearge b'aint.

Meet I outside the count's louse if ee thinks ee can ave I

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
                    I

Yes it's true that in a car you can't read, or work, or snooze, but having your own personal space and being able to listen to music, or the radio or whatever, and being able to sit comfortably (which at 6 foot I can't do in most trains) is so much better. It's much more relaxing that way.
                    You obviously not learnt from the "yoof".

You need to play your tunes on your mobile phone so the entire carriage can hear the tinny sound.

If you are male when someone tells you to turn it down you give them a death stare and try and look hard.

If you are female you and your mate (female "yoof" always have a mate) start whining like cats and dancing to the tune.

On a more serious note get a pair of decent headphones and you can listen to your music in pleasure while resting your head on the person next to you.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Headphones are indispensable. Even Quiet coaches have people yammering and yapping, without realising what coach they are in. Usually takes someone prodding them to shut up. In warmer weather, none of cattle classes have air conditioning, so it feels quite stuffy. Apparently heat does something to their engines
                      Also, some people think train travel is their personal time of the day to catch up with everyone in their life on the phone, and sitting around them is a nightmare without music/candy crush.
                      I am Brad. I do more than the needful and drive the market rates up by not bobbing my head.

Comment

Working...
                      X