• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are you an Excel guru?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    I can get the little fella to do things you've only dreamed off.
    I'd heard that.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
      Yes. I am an Excel guru. I can get the little fella to do things you've only dreamed off. I used to train advanced techniques to data analysts & VBA. I've hooked the Google maps Geocode web service up to an Excel function to clean account data & provide lat/longitude for an internal map system. All good fun.
      Why don''t you just go and pivot?

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        Ours are excellent. Little background in the industry but have a real insight beyond running test scripts to indicate where the workflow will fall down due to poor design.
        Ah! you have proper testers. Congratulations!
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
          Exactly! They're great.

Comment

I love spreadsheets. Alt + F11 is my favourite keyboard shortcut.
            While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
              Testing doesn't have to be testing.

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                Its amazing how many trading firms and insurance companies till use Excel for all the calculation stuff.
                Its because its quick. You can say what you like about Excel and Access, but these dirty little spreadsheets and databases only come about because IT departments can't service the needs of their users. Often they can't wait the 6 months it would take to get that SQL Server & c# based tool out to the users when they can knock something together in Excel in a few days.

I've made a fairly good living out of Excel and Access. One of the probelms I find is that people are too quick go down the VBA route rather than actually use the product. Excel can do some very impressive stuff without the need for VBA is you know what formuals to use. With Excel you get

1 - People who have just started to use it who only know about a few formulas and think vlookup is the most complex thing in the world

2 - They then start using VBA and eventually will write reams of code to essentially do what many of the more obscure formulas do

3 - Sick of writing code they then actually go back to looking at what the product can do and researching many of the less used formulas eg Choose which is like a select case statement

I'm not an Excel gunu but I'd say that I know more than most and in many cases I'm loathed to put VBA in as I can often get the spreadsheet to do what I need using a few dynamic named ranges etc
                Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  Been a bane of my career. I have found, many little offices, have a go to person, and the person who knows a bit about developing and he’s been building little spreadsheets for years that make his life easier. Then the department becomes reliant on these little spreadsheets, and the tech guys adds a little bit more functionality here and there, then the organisation starts relying on it to automate some of its processes. Then work out, some of these orgs I work for, have 100 branches, each with their little go to person doing their own little thing.

You have 100’s, sometimes thousands, of stupid little spreadsheets, or worse, access databases, holding their own versions of central data. Then, you have the political nightmare, of getting the departments to agree to give these little tools up, so you can centralise the applications using a properly designed, specc’d and built application. Also, then you have to agree a common data model...

Earlier in my career, I would have to understand complex spreadsheets, so I knew what they were getting up to, and some of the code....

I still actually come across this sometimes, current client has many departments who operate on their own, different, versions of centralised data; nightmare.

Ah yes, that takes me back to when I worked with Bae Systems
                  I'm sorry, but I'll make no apologies for this

Pogle is awarded +5 Xeno Geek Points.
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2010
                  CUK University Challenge Champions 2012

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    I thought I was, until I saw some of the spreadsheets this project uses
                    Written once by someone clever, now forgotten. Recycled endlessly by others who change the raw data and show you the impressive results.

Comment

Maybe when I finish this contract, I should leave them a simple project portfolio reporting tool that in one column always returns an error message of 'User error, please enter data within defined parameters'. They'll be ages working that out.

Comment

Working...
                      X