• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting article

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I do think that the current capitalism will implode. It actually requires the majority of people to have money in order to consume, so it's fairly obvious that the redistribution of wealth to the wealthy that valuing capital over labour causes is unsustainable.

I'd also suggest that, considering capital as a commodity, the concentration of capital leads to a virtual cartel which means it's artificially overpriced.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I went to an exhibition of clientco's products yesterday; lots of stuff like airport baggage systems, industrial conveyor systems, package sorting, robots and so on. It made it pretty clear to me that the future for low skilled manual workers looks very bleak indeed, and even the mid range skills are threatened; before long it'll take one bloke monitoring a screen remotely plus one guy in customs and one labourer to pick up anything that falls off machines (not much) to run all the baggage for a whole airport. Even the job of the guys who put irregular shaped bags in containers is going to be lost. I'm already learning a bit about industrial automation (PLC and so on) and I think that will have quite a big future and basically wipe out a lot of jobs. Glad to be getting some industrial automation experience now.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

I am not worried. Just as happy taking my 20% from robots. In fact they are probably more interesting than contractors over lunch... anyone for oil??
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
          I am not worried. Just as happy taking my 20% from robots. In fact they are probably more interesting than contractors over lunch... anyone for oil??
          You're safe. Nobody is developing robotic leeches
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
            You're safe. Nobody is developing robotic leeches
            Thanks, I'm off to get rich on that idea.

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
              They probably are more interesting, but you may struggle to extract your cheap Chinese meal and fag money before doing a bunk out of the ladies' toilet window.

Comment

Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

OH, you'd better build an effing big wall around your small-holding, come the revolution!

Comment

Would robots be able to have their morals lowered enough to work with pimps?

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Very interesting article. Thanks for the link.

OH, you'd better build an effing big wall around your small-holding, come the revolution!
                    I have often thought about what I would do were this to actually happen, and I think you’d have to agree to some sort of collective, in order to stay safe.

Certainly glad I have a couple of guns...

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                      Would robots be able to have their morals lowered enough to work with pimps?
                      Dunno, but I know a chappy who studied philosophy and then computer science and he's researching decision systems that involve turning various philosophers' ideas into algorithms for his PhD. He's a bit loopy, so the decisions might be scary.

Comment

Working...
                      X