• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would Britain be like today if

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn
    New Labour had never came to power and the Conservatives had carried on in power?

Jobs and unemployment?
    Tax?
    House prices?
    Inflation?
    Immigrants?
    Europe?
    Wars?

Would it be fundamentally different to how it is today?

Discuss, abuse Chico etc
    I think unemployment would be reported as closer to the true figure.
    Tax would be lower. Little stealth taxing.
    House price inflation would reflect the movement of funds from the stock market and back again but would not be so high as immigration would be lower..
    Inflation would be (reported) higher although some tinkering of the basket would be had (but not as bad as liebour).
    Less immigrants and a moratorium for new EU members
    Outright rejection of EU and Euro if Clarke not in power.
    Iraq & Afgan war but administration would not blatantly lie as to the reasons for engaging.

Overall, liebour are on "borrowed" time with the economy - rising unemployment and an increase in interest rates that cannot be controlled through basket manipulation i.e. energy price rises, increased bankruptcies, record borrowing to fuel a mini consumer boom, wage stagnation, increasing taxes, job devaluation, uncontrolled and unsustainable immigration, water shortages, expected power outages, huge government borrowing (and undeclared), a very indebted administration, corruption, migration of large company wealth abroad,...

I'd wait until next year for a more black and white comparison - it may become a little more crystal clear as the house of cards begins to fall.
    Last edited by hyperD; 18 July 2006, 14:18.
    If you think my attitude stinks, you should smell my fingers.

Comment

So we'd still have?

IR35
      Billions poured into public sector non-jobs and pension schemes for civil servants?
      War in Iraq and Afghanistan?
      Civil liberties removed?
      Speed cameras every 200 yards in the SE?
      Zero border controls and illegals and murderers let free to walk the streets?
      Human rights act?
      Crazy council tax levels and yearly rises of 25%?
      Emphasis on "fairness", benefits handouts and "ethnic minorities"?
      Tuition fees for university?
      "Friends of India" to ensure smooth passage of jobs overseas?
      Millions of work permits for migrants to come over?
      More control of UK by EU non elective red tape mongers?

So all this and more would be the same?

May as well vote New Labour then.

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn
        So we'd still have?

IR35
        Billions poured into public sector non-jobs and pension schemes for civil servants?
        War in Iraq and Afghanistan?
        Civil liberties removed?
        Speed cameras every 200 yards in the SE?
        Zero border controls and illegals and murderers let free to walk the streets?
        Human rights act?
        Crazy council tax levels and yearly rises of 25%?
        Emphasis on "fairness", benefits handouts and "ethnic minorities"?
        Tuition fees for university?
        "Friends of India" to ensure smooth passage of jobs overseas?
        Millions of work permits for migrants to come over?
        More control of UK by EU non elective red tape mongers?

So all this and more would be the same?

May as well vote New Labour then.
        No IR35 - that was in an older manifest. Only liebour have spawned that cancer.

I think yes to the above but less of it. Immigration may be less, maybe less buy-in to the EU (remember liebour simply subscribed without putting this to the electorate).

Comment

What if Cameron "promised" to remove IR35 and S660 would all the contractors suddenly change their allegiance to Tories?

Comment

Re persecution of the motorist

When were speed cameras introduced in the UK?

When was road pricing first touted?

When was the fuel price escalator introduced?

Who decrimilised motoring offenses and handed the control over to councils?

There's nothing like stealing 'good' ideas is there!
            I remember the good old days of this site when people used to moan about serious contractor related issues like house prices and immigration. How times have changed!?

Comment

Started by the Tories, taken to extremes by liebour.

Comment

Sas, Sas

Originally posted by Numptycorner
                Well said

Next...

He's infringing your copyright, sue the b*st*rd.
                Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Diestl
                  What if Cameron "promised" to remove IR35 and S660 would all the contractors suddenly change their allegiance to Tories?
                  It was on their "manifest" of old, but Cameron has taken a necessary neutral move to say that they will analyse the state of the economy before announcing policies.

This stops liebour "borrowing" their policies before the election and prevents liebour from expanding on their mantra that Tories = less investment in public services on the announcement of any tax cuts.

Cameron's goal is to position himself and the Tory party as a credible alternative to the clusterfuck that is new liebour through any means possible. It is obvious that a regime of tax and public sector cutting must take place as what we have now is simply not working and is unsustainable.

I think you'll find most businesses will show allegiance to the party that offers them the best position to increase their market sector and profits.

IR35 is simply one of the many taxes that liebour have imposed on small business, albeit unsucessfully in terms of expected total tax take for the IR, but not the most significant. The £5b/y compounded pensions raid since 1997 that El Gordo started has to be one of the biggest...

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                    He's infringing your copyright, sue the b*st*rd.
                    No Dundee review the logs you will note that the self styled guru stole it from me. Bit like New Labour - steal Tory policies and take to extremes.
                    Sola gratia

Sola fide

Soli Deo gloria

Comment

Originally posted by Chico
                      No Dundee review the logs you will note that the self styled guru stole it from me. Bit like New Labour - steal Tory policies and take to extremes.
                      You mean you used the word "next" once? PS And you're sad enough to review the logs? Get a life!
                      Next ....
                      Hard Brexit now!
                      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                      X