• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can you still drive the car if the power steering pump goes ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Troll View Post
    Are you sure the steering pump fluid reservoir (assuming its not electrical) has fluid in it?
    Ill have a ganders this morning but tbh on these modern cars you cant see f all in the engine bay and from underneath theres a metal plate blocking access

Oh well i guess on the way home in need to go steady

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      Ill have a ganders this morning but tbh on these modern cars you cant see f all in the engine bay and from underneath theres a metal plate blocking access

Oh well i guess on the way home in need to go steady

Milan.
      Make, model and year please, then I can give you a more accurate assessment.
      Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Re: Can you still drive the car if the power steering pump goes ?

I would find the steering fluid reservoir and check that before going far. If it just needs topping up and bleeding through (by turning the steering lock to lock until the level stops decreasing) then it is a lot cheaper and easier than fitting a new pump.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
          W OG S.

Spaces interpolated to get past the naughty words filter
          I was going to create a sockie called A Naughty Kinky Erotic Rebrobate and post stuff that other people would agree with, but I never quite found the energy.

Comment

Easy at higher speeds but parking is a nightmare, you might want to invest in some steroids to make the most of your new work station.

Comment

Ok got home safely

Parked on the way and in the rain could see evidence of an oil.leak checked the powersteering reservior and it is well below the mark will get it fixed when the new front wheel bearings are i stallef but in the meantime will ask nissan for a trade in.price for a new v6 diesel pathfinder

Thanks all

Milan

Comment

No, not really, as they use quite high pressure pumps to move the hydraulic fluids about, and you wouldn't have that strength.

If you're going down mountain roads, do it alone, and ensure you are well insured.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Hack View Post
                  No, not really, as they use quite high pressure pumps to move the hydraulic fluids about, and you wouldn't have that strength.

If you're going down mountain roads, do it alone, and ensure you are well insured.
                  +1

And back yourself up on tape first.

Comment

eh up

elf and safety have just turned up

Its ok old timers home safe

Milan.

Comment

Well it appears you can drive when the power steering goes. Made slightly more difficult when the immobiliser goes off though as well especially when approaching a roundabout at speed.

Now waiting for the AA.
                      What happens in General, stays in General.
                      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                      X