• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Racism in the IT Industry (contracting or otherwise..)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

racism in IT ... let me tell you all about it ...

I worked in a company that rhymes with Sneuters an Asian manager hired me with approval from a white manager, I am white.

I worked for the Asian Manager who in conjuction with the White manager lied to me about the contract at the interview stage - it was reatlly a testing role dressed up as development work.

The Asian manager gave me testing work, week after week, he knew he had conned me, I knew he had conned me into a cr*p job but I decided to lie low and look for another job in the meantime.

To make matters worse an Asian FTV with an attitude problem that the Asian manager had hired started to criticize my work (and I mean go out on an all out attack at anything that could be used .. most of it was ridiculous)... he initiated meetings about the quality of my work and I had to defend every point that he made against me. In fairness the Asian manager saw this and sided with me as far as the quality of work was concerned. The Asian FTV guy was either racist or jealous towards me (he was a permie with a kids living in a cr*p flat in Paddington) - I could never decide which he was.

But I came to the conclusion that it was more of a terratorial thing that this FTV Asian had.... ie get rid of people coming in to make his position safer maybe.

Having said that the Asian FTV used to 'hisssss' at me quite openly in the office when he ever disapproved of me .. that made me want to knock his block off.

I think ultimately some Asians are getting away with murder in the office and they know that they can because if you say anything against them it is deemed to be "racist".

I left after a couple of months and so did a colleague of mine (White and Jewish) in the same team/situation.

Comment

Originally posted by BradNeedsYourHelp
      Do you have any evidence of it? have you experienced it yourself?

One of the posts on here, got me thinking about it.
      Oh yes, in Denmark get it quite a bit. At one client it was so extreme I was forced to challenge: "Is it coz I'z black?". IIRC I discussed it on this very board previously. BTW I dropped that client, 'cause I won't work for such people, well, not unless they pay a higher rate.
      Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
      threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

I got called a racist once

For rejecting some utterly crap work produced by a member of one of our minorities. It appears that because the person next to them was white and their work was accepted then I must of course be racially biased rather than being biased against signing off tulipe code.

Fortunately I was not in the public sector so he got a bollocking and told to pull his socks up or he would be out of the door.

Comment

Ironically (similar situation):-

Back when i was a permie, I had the typical ex-public-sector asian contractor working behind me. The bastard wrote some total crap and as I was in charge of him, I decided to make it known by approaching the HR department over it. I got told:

"No we can't do anything as we'll get in trouble for being racist".

That's the true power of racism...
          Serving religion with the contempt it deserves...

Comment

When I was desperate for a job after University, I applied for an IT job with Birmingham City Council. The application form had on it "we particularly welcome applications from ethnic and sexual minorities". I've got black hair and am fairly dark skinned for a white person, so I did think about putting down I was Jewish, or East-European or some such lie, but what I should have done was just said I was gay and worn the type of funny hat that all the gay people were wearing at the time, and if they ever caught me looking at breasts I'd claim I was going through a confusing time and was struggling with my sexual identity.

I wimped out, and of course never got any response from the application.

I wonder how long it'll be before we're not allowed to discriminate against the stupid, the lazy and the downright incompetent.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan
              I wonder how long it'll be before we're not allowed to discriminate against the stupid, the lazy and the downright incompetent.
              In the public sector, this is already the case.

Comment

There is no racism...but Whites do get paid more for the same work and hold most of the senior positions. considering the tulipe state of management and major IT projects in the UK...naahhh I won't get in to it.
                McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

"but Whites do get paid more for the same work and hold most of the senior positions"

Sorry but if you are going to come up with a sweeping statement like that we are going to need to see some evidence to back it up. Do you honestly think in this politically correct nanny state that would be permitted by the powers that be???

Comment

reptiles

all i know is they dont like reptiles in the IT industry...

Comment

Only Anti-White/Anglo-Saxon discrimination. All in the City and its getting worse...

Comment

Working...
                      X