• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Finding a contract role

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Clog II The Avenger
    I’ve published a down loadable book “How to be an IT Contractor” It is only £75. Are you interested?
    Err No. Am sure you are earning enough as it is!

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
      I've only ever sent my CV in reference to specific roles on Jobserve - you get enough spam as a result of this endeavour, let alone posting it on the website... however I'm sure you'll find someone here who's had a positive experience doing this...somewhere....maybe?
      Depends on your market. Many of the agents I have contact with search the databases first before ever advertising the position. I was offered a job a couple of weeks ago that has only just been advertised and I am up for one in a few weeks that wont be advertised if I get the gig.
      I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
      Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Anyone here working in an investment bank? If so, was wondering what your experience was of finding these types of roles.

Cheers.

Comment

Welcome to the jungle. Hope you enjoy the wildlife.

Recommend that you sign up with www.pcg.org and read the guide to contracting. This will cover pretty much everything you need to know about the administrative and legal sides of the market.

On getting your first role, there are two ways of getting a contract:
          1. Win it yourself. Contact all the people you know/have worked with who may be involved in hiring contractors/consultants. Ask for work. (this is, in fact, a lot easier than it initially appears, but most IT spods don't have the cojones or the experience to just get out and do it)

so most people do option 2....

2. Get someone else to win it for you.

the advice so far is pretty good - jobsite, jobserve, and CWjobs seem to cover 90% of the market.

The only other thing that you may wish to try (depending on whether you can stump up the cash in advance) is to offer the agents an incentive for placing you. In essence, it works like this:
          - you sign up with c. 4-5 agents that place the sort of work that you want to do, and find the name of an individual agent (not hard, they will be all over you like a rash).
          - you write to them stating the type of role, rate and location that you're looking for
          - you offer them a cash reward for the first one that places you (somewhere between 500 and 1,000 ought to do it)

You will be sold within a week. The agents will not be personally making 500 from selling you (they will probably not declare the payment to the taxman, either), and they will compete like hell to take the money.

Other tips....

www.jobstats.com is my bible for getting up to date information on market rates by location and skill type. It also gives you information on the top agents (by name as well as company).

you are almost always better off setting up a limited company to trade through (unless you are operating at rates below about 250/day). At rates lower than this you may as well use an umbrella company.

since this is your first time. have a banana

Plan A is located just about here.
          If that doesn't work, then there's always plan B

Comment

Thanks for the replies.

So none of you guys working in banks? I'm looking to remain in banking but work as a contractor so was wondering if anyone here had any particular/specific advice on the perm -> contractor move within investment banking.

Cheers.

Comment

Moderator, please ban XLMonkey for giving a sensible and helpful advice. He is certainly not compliant with the rest of the group and the other monkeys.
              I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Oooh oooh ooh oooh

Aaaah hahah haaahaa a aaa ahhhha a a a a

[spins around pointlessly slapping head whilst simultaneously sniffing the arse of all nearby females to see if they are in heat]

better?

Comment

Oh for goodness' sake

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                  Oooh oooh ooh oooh

[
                  Put more cold water in your bath. Tsk, primates nowadays, I don't know.
                  Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by XLMonkey
                    Oooh oooh ooh oooh

[spins around pointlessly slapping head whilst simultaneously sniffing the arse of all nearby females to see if they are in heat]

better?
                    Too much, now you are acting like Milan.
                    I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
                      Too much, now you are acting like Milan.
                      Can't help it, I'm a monkey. [Sex three times a day, that's what being a monkey is alllll about]

though at this moment, I can also highly recommend a bottle of McWilliams Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, which isn't quite as good as sex with Mrs Monkey.

But it comes close.

Comment

Working...
                      X