• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Natwest Three/Enron Case get stranger...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I read about this at the weekend and to be honest they all look pretty ******* guilty judging by the evidence.

The number of times I have worked in companies where they have pulled similar stunts to this is quite outstanding and one company did this to me on the AIMS market a number of years ago and i lost about 40k. THey still trade after going bankrupt but now the directors own it.

Lock 'em up I say!
    What happens in General, stays in General.
    You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

And so what was the gist of this interesting reading, mailers ?

Originally posted by marillion fan
      I read about this at the weekend and to be honest they all look pretty ******* guilty judging by the evidence.
      Looking pretty guilty or not, why were they extradited under anti-terrorism legislation ? According to the papers did the modus operandi of the fraud include WMD ? Or maybe the fruits of the fraud were intended to sponsor terrorism ?

Anything remotely like that ?

Comment

Fire in Poplar

I was talking to a fireman at the week end who was involved in a very large firefighting operation at warehouse in Poplar. The warehouse was a business records storage facility that included many Nat West documents. There was also a similar fire in Ottawa some time ago containing a lot of Enron files.

"
        THURSDAY 13 JULY

Bow – warehouse fire
        There are now eight fire engines and around 40 firefighters still at the scene of a blaze at a paper records warehouse in Twelvetrees Crescent, Bow. Crews are expected to remain at the incident throughout the night.

The Brigade were called at 2332 on Wednesday night.

Crews from Poplar, Bow, Stratford, Millwall and Whitechapel fire stations are among those in attendance."

The plot thickens
        Last edited by DodgyAgent; 17 July 2006, 10:12.
        Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Nah.

They were only the contents of the drawers of an old NatWest HR dept.

Copious volumes of paperwork, but nothing remotely valuable or interesting.

Talking of fires though .. I heard there was a fire in one of Lord Levy's offices not so long ago.
          Last edited by BobTheCrate; 17 July 2006, 10:30.

Comment

A spokesperson for NatWest said,

"despite Human Resources's protestations, the files :
            ... went on a bit and were extremely dull and uninteresting".

The plot thins

Comment

Originally posted by BobTheCrate
              A spokesperson for NatWest said,

"despite Human Resources's protestations, the files :
              ... went on a bit and were extremely dull and uninteresting".

The plot thins
              So why burn them?

the plot thickens
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent
                So why burn them?

the plot thickens
                Because they were dull & uninteresting ?

Vaguely reminds me of the BCCI scandal. An 'associate' of mine in the banking sector told me, "nah, nah ,nah ... people have got it all the wrong way round. The crookery and fraudery is just a front ... the real money's in the banking".

Comment

why were they extradited under anti-terrorism legislation ?
                  Because thats the best legislation that allows for people to be extradited.

Remembering though that this case has been going on since 2002 when the original arrest warrents were issued, that they were given the opportunity to appeal to the high court, which they lost. They then lost their next two appeals to the Human rights court and the privy council...because...they have a case to answer.

Its as simple as that.

I reckon these guys are gonna get around 20 years each for the dodgy dealings. Fair dinkum too!

Mailman

Comment

Originally posted by mailman
                    Because thats the best legislation that allows for people to be extradited.
                    I don't doubt it. But the UK already had an extradition treaty with the USA.

I don't particularly doubt they have a case to answer, that's not my point.

So why is the anti-terrorism legislation being used to extradite them ? If it's quicker & more efficient, how is it quicker and more efficient ?

Comment

I don't doubt it. But the UK already had an extradition treaty with the USA.

I don't particularly doubt they have a case to answer, that's not my point.

So why is the anti-terrorism legislation being used to extradite them ? If it's quicker & more efficient, how is it quicker and more efficient ?
                      Because thats the legislation that was passed in the place of the old legislation previously used to extradite people to America.

Mailman

Comment

Working...
                      X