• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Thatcher did not destroy Britains manufacturing

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
    He describes how in 1978 the PM’s private office ordered two new cars — from British Leyland, inevitably: “They took a long time to arrive. When they finally came they were found to have 34 mechanical faults . . . When they returned the PM went for a trip in one. He decided to open the window for some fresh air . . . the result was that the window immediately fell in on his lap.”
    [/B][/I]
    Obviously specially built models for the PM there. My father would have been delighted if his SD1 had only 34 mechanical faults.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Thank you Dominic Lawson in the Sunday Times

Contrary to popular opinion of the left:

lots of text in non-aesthetic formatting
      DA, you are turning into AtW. I can see a common trait of copying and posting some random text from the internet. You should just provide a link, and what you really wanted to say.
      Atleast AtW is better in formatting.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
        Citing the problems with industry in 1978 is not a good reason for abandoning it in the late 80s. You think the state can't part own such companies, then why are Renault/Citroen and Fiat still going and featuring in the top ten bought cars in the UK?
        AND
        If our Marques were so poor and image so bad then why were they were bought by BMW, Ford, Tata, etc etc and made popular throughout the world? If it were as bad as you were making out that would have been impossible no?

Not just Standing by while Rome is burning, but adding fuel to the flames, that's the Thatcher legacy.

PS. Car of the Year 1977- Rover 3500
        Because Renault, Peugeot, Citroen were never (quite) as shoddily designed and built as a lot of the BL stuff. As for Italian, have you tried to buy a Lancia here lately?

BL were hived off to Honda originally, that didn't last long.

Is it just co-incidental that BMW bought Land Rover, brought out the X5 (their first 4WD) then got shot of it?

Ford bought Jaguar to widen their sales appeal to the luxury car buyer (think Lincoln or Lexus)

Tata, only a developing nation whose automotive industry survives on 1950s cars thought it was an improvement

P.S. Some Cars of the Year turned out to have been pants in the long run. But I do like the SD1, the engine was a cracker too, introduced second hand in 1963 and still going strong into this century.

Comment

Originally posted by rd409 View Post
          DA, you are turning into AtW. I can see a common trait of copying and posting some random text from the internet. You should just provide a link, and what you really wanted to say.
          Atleast AtW is better in formatting.

Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Obviously specially built models for the PM there. My father would have been delighted if his SD1 had only 34 mechanical faults.
            So would my mum. Although hers was a 2500 I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              So would my mum. Although hers was a 2500 I think.
              I had a Renault 5 Gordini I just loved it.
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                And a Montego with the talking dashboard.
                My Dad had one. It would go "Bing bong. All monitored functions are operating correctly", when you started it.

It seemed like we were living in a golden futuristic age.
                Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Thatcher did not destroy Britains manufacturing

The Maserati Quattroporte III used Austin Allegro switchgear...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    There's a surprise

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      I've been led to believe it also had a number of important mechanical components made of chocolate
                      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Working...
                      X