• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Why Thatcher is hated

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    You'll never know
    in other words your squirming your way out of being a hypocrite
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      Are you saying that there would be fewer social problems had we left everything alone in the 70s? if so please argue it don't just say it.
      No. I'm saying that there would be less social problems now if she had taken a different approach. Some of what she did was more akin to an act of war than the work of a government, and it's hard not to believe that it couldn't have been done with less collateral damage.

I'd also argue that the unions needed cutting down to size but what was needed was a restoration of balance. By destroying them she paved the way for the trend of big business getting it's way at all costs that has led to the current wave of immigration.
      Last edited by doodab; 9 April 2013, 20:25.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Whats your thoughts on the current goverment and Cameron?

Comment

The problem with so many of you is that you do not know how to construct an argument. You do not know how to evidence a point. I have argued that your profession has been one of the main beneficiaries of Thatcherism and that you have exploited your high earning tax free(almost) privileged positions to build systems to put people out of work.

At the same time you then pillory Margaret Thatcher for destroying communities by removing their jobs from them. So what is going on? I can only deduce that there is one rule for you and another for everyone else.
          no

I think there is a lot of 'end justifies the means'
          'end does not justify the means'
          'law of unintended consequences'

stuff going on.

I honestly believe that its possibe for all sides to be right here. because one can define onself to be right
          (\__/)
          (>'.'<)
          ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

You are another one. another hypocrite. I bet if you visited one of the Thatcher death celebratory parties and announced that you were a tax avoiding IT contractor who makes a killing building systems that put people out of work they would string you top the nearest lampost by whatever apology for bollocks you've got
            I was just stating facts DA, you can't argue with that.

Obviously I'm not fan of hers but I feel sad that she's died, as I would anyone's mother, or any life really, I wouldn't go to any of these parties nor would I shout or boo over a minutes silence but I still feel that she wronged so many of us, so much so that feeling have overrun, and they have, haven't they? For no reason? I'll leave that for you to decide.
            Last edited by stek; 9 April 2013, 20:26. Reason: spelling!

Comment

You haven't yet argued that I'm a hypocrite. This thread is highlighting your 'intelligence' a wee bit.

Go have a drink and chill a bit dude, you're not cut out for the cut and thrust of General
              Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                No. I'm saying that there would be less social problems now if she had taken a different approach. Some of what she did was more akin to an act of war than the work of a government, and it's hard not to believe that it couldn't have been done with less collateral damage.
                That is a pathetic answer. It is a cliche that you hope cannot be challenged. Now you tell us why and how Thatcher could have done things differently. Tell us how the Unions would have been prepared to compromise and agreed reforms. Tell us why Unions would have agreed to reforms when they refused to do so under previous labour governments. Put your brain to work and research the answer and show us that behind that cliched bigotry there is in fact a man making an argument.
                Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                  You haven't yet argued that I'm a hypocrite. This thread is highlighting your 'intelligence' a wee bit.

Go have a drink and chill a bit dude, you're not cut out for the cut and thrust of General
                  I have argued that if you are a contractor then you are indeed a hypocrite yet you claim to have left the country. Clearly you have at some point returned and made a nice living which I would argue you would not have been able to do had Thatcher not come to power.
                  If indeed you have been out of the country and that you are not an IT contractor then I find it intriguing that you should frequent a contractor site full of Thatchers children

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    I was just stating facts DA, you can't argue with that.

Obviously I'm not fan of hers but I feel sad that she's died, as I would anyone's mother, or any life really, I wouldn't go to any of these parties nor would I shout or boo over a minutes silence but I still feel that she wronged so many of us, so much so that feeling have overrun, and they have, haven't they? For no reason? I'll leave that for you to decide.
                    so how did she wrong you?

Comment

Bizarrely, the most anti-Thatcher person I know was educated privately yet goes on and on about the Milk Snatcher.

He's now sucking on the tit of the legal aid budget (he's a PI lawyer) and moans like hell that Cameron's elitist Etonians are about to put him out of business. Due of course to the legal aid cuts which as far as I can tell were were inspired not least by the greed of his own industry. I find this so offensive I can't begin to describe it.

And on BBC World News today, lots of people blaming her government for the 2008 banking crisis.

FFS.

I wouldn't mind if these people could string together an argument. I would listen to the argument. I could be persuaded by a debate. But no. Most of them just like to quote other people's bile as fact, e.g.
                      Owen Jones: Thatcherism was a national catastrophe that still poisons us - Comment - Voices - The Independent

She may not be a saint or saviour, but I would like to hear some concrete debate/facts rather than a stream of 'hip' spitefulness.

Comment

Working...
                      X