• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ding Dong we lost a great stateswomen - Margaret Thatcher has died

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    They're all at it.

Comment

Freedom fighter, revolutionary, mother, wife, leader, hero.

Richard Wagner - Siegfried Funeral March - Götterdämmerung - Solti - Vidéo Dailymotion

GLORIOUS VICTORY TO THATCHER. RIP.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post

The most odous person in the UK and Jimmy Saville

Well they both were rather fond of screwing miners.

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

This slimy pair used to make me laugh, he had given up politics, she was still rabid about things (mostly Portillo)

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
            My father used to work for the steel works until 1980s when a lot of the plant was closed. However, he got on with it, re-trained and found a new job almost straight away.
            He rightly points out that it was the policy of nationalization that brought the industry to its knees, as it did not modernize enough.
            It was NOT a sole result of the Tories that such industries began to collapse. Prior to Thatcher's election in 1979, two steel works in South Wales were going down the pan.
            The economic reforms and the expansion of the service sector in my local area that she encouraged have so far been very successful.
            Considering the mess the country was in prior to her election, I think she did a good job (a far better job than Michael Foot, Kinnock or any militant trade union organization could ever have done!!)
            fairly concise
            I too worked in the steel industry at that time, there was one mill there that was referred to as the "New Mill", it was built in 1898 in Germany and was taken from Germany after WW1 as reparation. That's an indication of the level of investment.

When Toyota were visiting a number of steel plants to select a supplier there was a problem, "Carry on, they won't notice" was the decision. At the end of the demonstration, one of the visiting group said politely, "That was very interesting, but tell me, did you know you've been producing scrap all afternoon?". That's an indication on the quality of management.

By '79 British industry was already over the brink having been led there by the triumvarate of nihilistic unions, inept management and shambolic politicians. I think it was a case of a gangreneous leg being removed, but being replaced with a prosthetic limb that was 6" too short - barely useful, but better than the alternatives. . .

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
              Well they both were rather fond of screwing miners.

Comment

Originally posted by Goatfell View Post
                When Toyota were visiting a number of steel plants to select a supplier there was a problem, "Carry on, they won't notice" was the decision. At the end of the demonstration, one of the visiting group said politely, "That was very interesting, but tell me, did you know you've been producing scrap all afternoon?". That's an indication on the quality of management.
                I remember someone visiting one of the coachbuilders that did bus bodies for Leyland chassis.

Apparently no two chassis were the same length, so each and every bus was a custom job. Nobody at Leyland could be arsed to standardise the measurements.
                Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  Lady T was born in Grantham, which generally qualifies as oop north.
                  It makes me wonder whether that drove her to hate the north.

I've seen that happen to various folks who have migrated darn sarf.

There's nowt worse than a snob from a humble background who wants to leave their past behind.

Originally posted by Zippy View Post
                  It's going to be one hell of a funeral.
                  Probably so. I will plan to be doing something which doesn't involve watching telly that day.
                  Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

She engendered the bottom up society in which the individual is empowered.

Compare this to the left wing top down society where the state is all pervading and controlling.

Comment

Working...
                    X