• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can't perform like I used to 10 years ago

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
    Right AND left hand?
    That's two handshakes not two jumps.

DKUATB.
    I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
      Can't perform like I used to 10 years ago
      Neither can these guys:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Jackson
      Whitney Houston - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
      nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        I don't know if that's really the case. Systems are arguably much more complex now, because there are so many interconnected applications running within and outside of clientcos, and the drive for quick delivery makes it difficult to sufficiently analyse a situation. BUT, I don't think the tools are any more difficult to learn than in the past, and in fact some testing tools are much easier to use these days; trouble is, many hiring managers and HR numpties seem fixated on the tools, specifying experience with Something 8.4, and insisting that Something 8.2 is not sufficient experience, when in fact, if someone give you a 5 minute explanation with a diagram of the architecture, you'll probably understand it.
        Learning a language does not make you a programmer. Learning to think does that.
        -- Erik Dijkstra
        Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
          Learning a language does not make you a programmer. Learning to blag does that.
          -- Erik Dijkstra
          FTFY
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Most contracting roles are as dull as tulipe. Working for and with idiots on stuff that has been built by a long line of idiots.

I was hoping to get out with this one ending but I am being tempted back in with a real big earner. "Just one more year" I will probably say and I will hate myself for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ELBBUBKUNPS View Post
              I've noticed in last year or so my ability to grasp technical concepts, design decent data models or just get my head around any new system and data flows has gone down big time, things just don't synch in. Over the last few days I've been working on re-writting it an existing ETL process and I'm struggling with it, complex stuff but nothing I have not handled before. Looking back though 10 years I was working on more complex stuff and never had a problem.

Have others found the same as they got older, I can't tell if Im just getting slower to learn as I've got older or just had enough of IT and so bored it my brain is blocking it out.
              What age are you? It would help a damn lot in helping you if you gave us just this simple piece of information.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                Most contracting roles are as dull as tulipe. Working for and with idiots on stuff that has been built by a long line of idiots.
                ^ This = depressingly accurate.
                nomadd liked this post

Comment

Originally posted by proggy View Post
                  What age are you? It would help a damn lot in helping you if you gave us just this simple piece of information.
                  Just ask for his age, rather than asking like your wanting to start a fight. Or at least be funny.

Comment

Working...
                  X