• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

End date approaching, when should I approach my boss to see if its being extended?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two weeks to go and client has offered me 1 month extension again. They seem to offer 3 month then 1 month at seemingly random intervals.

I've tried to explain numerous times that, guys, just let me know when I'm no longer required. Fair play thats contracting.

I've even said, guys, please can we go for 3 months and if for some reason there's an issue then just terminate with notice period. At least that way I get two weeks notice which is more than I get when they take it up to the wire every time.

(Although I know that they're not that organised to actually terminate).

The nuts thing is I've got projects on the card for the next 4-5 months....

Nope I dont hate my client but they could be more professional here. After being here for almost two years I would expect a bit more professional courtesy and general decent behaviour from them.
    Last edited by psychocandy; 14 March 2013, 14:30.
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
      +1 for a month to go, I give the agent a nudge. Start paying more attention to job feeds/emails. Get CV up to scratch.

3 weeks to go, if heard nothing, speak to the agent again, start dropping massive hints to influential permies. Send CV to any roles I've found online. Send email with CV directly to agents used in that past.

2 weeks to go. If still nothing from agent, speak to client contact myself to find out the real story. Talk loudly about code handover, documentation to anyone relevant, push back on any new work (assuming still have plenty to do).

1 week to go, feet up, don't give a tulip about work....
      Sounds like a good timeline to follow to be honest!!!!

Comment

I would ask about a month before if not wanting a break that is. Usually though as others have said if you haven't heard something at that point it usually means you've had your chips.

Never be scared to mention you are asking because other clients have enquired your availability, that usually speeds things along, if they want you that is.

Comment

Originally posted by ZARDOZ View Post
          I would ask about a month before if not wanting a break that is. Usually though as others have said if you haven't heard something at that point it usually means you've had your chips.

Never be scared to mention you are asking because other clients have enquired your availability, that usually speeds things along, if they want you that is.
          Zardoz - dont agree mate. Like I said, a lot of clients sort it out way in advance but I'm always staggered by the number that leave it until the last minute. Occasionally, you know they'd be screwed if you left but it still doesn't sink in that they need to get things sorted.

A lot seem to 'assume' your going to stay because your that desperate. I had one client a few years that did just that with another contractor (not me!). This guy was switched on and in the middle of a huge project and the client relied on him totally. They fannyed him about a few times, so one time, even though he warned them, they ignored him and never got the renewal sorted so he walked into another gig somewhere else. I dread to think how money it cost the client in sorting all the hassle out.

Worse thing was they didnt learn from this and continued on same as always with the contractors left....

Comment

Generally 4 to 6 weeks before contract end I start asking client and or agent.

Must admit, I tend to ask the client first as they are the ones I have daily contact with not, some arsewipe agent who'll want to take the credit for any extension.
            I couldn't give two fornicators! Yes, really!

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
              Zardoz - dont agree mate. Like I said, a lot of clients sort it out way in advance but I'm always staggered by the number that leave it until the last minute. Occasionally, you know they'd be screwed if you left but it still doesn't sink in that they need to get things sorted.
              Some do yeah, I'm talking from my perspective. I don't normally ask for renewals these days, I leave it to them. But I want to know either way a month before the contract runs out. This gives me enough time to find something should I need to. If I were a novice I'd want feedback earlier but half way in seems a little too early IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by BolshieBastard View Post
                Generally 4 to 6 weeks before contract end I start asking client and or agent.

Must admit, I tend to ask the client first as they are the ones I have daily contact with not, some arsewipe agent who'll want to take the credit for any extension.
                Problem is I dont have daily contact with the guy who sorts the extension - hes in a different country!

Comment

Update

Just spoken to the Development Mgr and hes renewing me for another 6 months, apparently he's already raised the paperwork and told my team lead last week!, still its a relief so happy days

Comment

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
                    Two weeks to go and client has offered me 1 month extension again. They seem to offer 3 month then 1 month at seemingly random intervals.
                    Will all be to do with various budget approvals on their end no doubt.
                    "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
                      Will all be to do with various budget approvals on their end no doubt.
                      No doubt. Excuse before xmas was company is going through redundancies so budgets are hard to sort. After Xmas it was all OK for 3 months. Suddenly without warning or explanation its one month again.

Comment

Working...
                      X