• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Anyone been backpacking solo?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
    Go to holidaypirates.co.uk and look for an 'open-jaw' flight deal - ie you land in singapore but return flight is from say japan.
    The bit in the middle you can walk, cycle, take a bus and just enjoy life
    In my mind doing that is restrictive as you have to be somewhere at a certain time. I am currently thinking (although this changes every week) that i will flow to Moscow and get the Trans-Siberian through all the way to Beijing stopping for in remote Russia (have always wanted to visit Russia), Siberia (Lake Baikal), Mongolia.

After that i am stumped, my end destination is Perth as i have family there and a few friends play for Perth Glory and want to visit SE Asia, but can't decide whether to go to Japan and Korea or Tibet and India (all 4 are countries i want to see), then through SE Asia and Indonesia to OZ.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
      I'm getting itchy feet reading this thread.
      Absolutely - it really is difficult to describe the effect travelling like this has on you and how the experiences live with you forever. It only takes a few words of reminiscing to bring it right back into focus...

I need another adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
        In my mind doing that is restrictive as you have to be somewhere at a certain time. I am currently thinking (although this changes every week) that i will flow to Moscow and get the Trans-Siberian through all the way to Beijing stopping for in remote Russia (have always wanted to visit Russia), Siberia (Lake Baikal), Mongolia.

After that i am stumped, my end destination is Perth as i have family there and a few friends play for Perth Glory and want to visit SE Asia, but can't decide whether to go to Japan and Korea or Tibet and India (all 4 are countries i want to see), then through SE Asia and Indonesia to OZ.
        You were going to S. America a few days ago - but you know what, I think that is the number one beauty of being able to travel, the freedom to go where you want, when you want.

I booked one of these round the world tickets. But once I was away I completely changed my itinery based on what I found I enjoyed doing.

Comment

Originally posted by Basil Fawlty View Post
          You were going to S. America a few days ago - but you know what, I think that is the number one beauty of being able to travel, the freedom to go where you want, when you want.

I booked one of these round the world tickets. But once I was away I completely changed my itinery based on what I found I enjoyed doing.
          WHS

Make sure you get a ticket that allows for at least a few free changes to dates, flights etc. There's no way everything will go according to plan, that's the best part, make it up as you go along.

Comment

Absolutely - it really is difficult to describe the effect travelling like this has on you and how the experiences live with you forever. It only takes a few words of reminiscing to bring it right back into focus...

I need another adventure
            Amen to that.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

I have worked out i have had 4 days off in the last 3 years and have decided I want to treat myself to a long break at the end of my current gig. All my friends are permies and would not be able to take more than 2 weeks off. So i was thinking of taking 3-6 months and do a bit of traveling. I am 28 now and think i need to do this now or i never will.

Has anyone ever done it on their own? how did they find it?
              I would imagine that any IT contractor who has backpacked would have done it on their own. After all everyone knows you lot have no friends
              Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

I still want to go there, but with only 3 months, i think it would warrant a trip on its own

Comment

I still want to go there, but with only 3 months, i think it would warrant a trip on its own
                  It sure would. I was there for 12 months. I didn't have time to do it all. I suppose I didn't need to spend a whole month in Rio alone, for example. But why rush through it?
                  Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Ignis Fatuus View Post
                    It sure would. I was there for 12 months. I didn't have time to do it all. I suppose I didn't need to spend a whole month in Rio alone, for example. But why rush through it?
                    Exactly my thinking, contracting allows the flexibility to travel, i would love to work for 9 months then spend 3 travelling, 3 months gaps don't look bad on the CV. Until i'm married with kids anyway

Comment

I have worked out i have had 4 days off in the last 3 years and have decided I want to treat myself to a long break at the end of my current gig. All my friends are permies and would not be able to take more than 2 weeks off. So i was thinking of taking 3-6 months and do a bit of traveling. I am 28 now and think i need to do this now or i never will.

Has anyone ever done it on their own? how did they find it?
                      Yes - Australia and NZ in my late 20s. I got a working visa for Australia so ended up spending the full year out there (3 months work in Sydney & the rest travelling) and then went over to NZ for 3 months. Only came home because there was a family wedding & I was told I would be disinherited if I didn't attend.

Went on my own, but stayed in hostels & met loads of people. Best year of my life!!

Comment

Working...
                      X