• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Are we that desperate to get on the housing "ladder"?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by original PM View Post
    intersting but...

renting - each month you pay x and get nothing but a roof over your head for that month so imho dead money
    I rent and:

- my landlord has to do all the repairs and maintenance
    - they have to take the bins out to the street
    - they have to clear the snow
    - they have to clean the stairs and other areas
    - the have to deal with all the crap like boilers, noisy neighbours, cable, etc.
    - lots of other tulip I can't be bothered with
    - its very easy to move when I get bored

buying a house - each month you pay y, get a roof over your head and pay a little bit more towards the house you are buying
    You have to do all the above stuff and then you die...
    Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

intersting but...

renting - each month you pay x and get nothing but a roof over your head for that month so imho dead money

buying a house - each month you pay y, get a roof over your head and pay a little bit more towards the house you are buying

not saying that the housing market is a good investment to make money but it seems to make more sense than renting in the long term?
      Depends on x and y. Doesn't make more sense if y - x > "a little bit more towards the house you are buying".
      Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        My little brother bought rather than rented, then rented out as he moved. He is now considerably richer than Dim.

wish I had done it.
        That sort of thing used to work reliably well a decade or more ago. It's gotten a lot more risky since. :-/

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I bought a house in 1991 for £24K - sold 2 years later for £26.5K. That was enough for a deposit on a £59K house, which we sold three years later (1996) for £64K. Rented a bit, then bought a house for £179K, sold it 3 years later for £230K. All very nice, especially as I put quite a lot of the profit into my Swiss pension fund, which was a tax deduction, resulting in zero income tax for a year.

The house I own now costs about £1200 a month in mortgage payments. It would cost at least double that to rent it.
          Bought my first house in 1665 for a shekkel, sold in 2350 for 3 Zillion Interglalactic credits, before buying a pyramid again in -3000 BC.

Threaded.
          What happens in General, stays in General.
          You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by CheeseSlice View Post
            I was once there in the same mindset, but after being a good tenant but still being evicted twice at really bad times due to:

a) landlord wanted to convert large house into two smaller properties, then
            b) landlord finances going titsup and moving back into their previously rented out house.

...buying a house was the only way to be sure it never happened again.
            The whole point is that if you are young and don't have a family, that is not a huge downside. Conversely with a family you buy because that would be a big problem.
            Job motivation: how the powerful steal from the stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
              I rent and:

- my landlord has to do all the repairs and maintenance
              - they have to take the bins out to the street
              - they have to clear the snow
              - they have to clean the stairs and other areas
              - the have to deal with all the crap like boilers, noisy neighbours, cable, etc.
              - lots of other tulip I can't be bothered with
              - its very easy to move when I get bored

You have to do all the above stuff and then you die...
              If the UK rental market was anything like the German one, I'm sure there'd be much less desire to buy. Although my family owns a few places, growing up in Germany has no doubt added to my reluctance to buy.

I found the greatest advantages of renting in Germany to be that you simply have a lot more rights as a tenant, and that you get a lot more stability and little risk of eviction. Also that you're allowed to decorate the place as you see fit, and in most cases keep whatever pets you like. All these things are a huge hassle when renting in the UK.

Comment

Looking at the chart below:

The salary to house price ration is almost double what it was in the mid-90's, if it were like that now i would love to buy. But what you get for your money is now awful. When i was a permie on 50-60k, with a 15% deposit i could only afford a 2 bedroom semi, and what was earning nearly 3x the average UK salary.

Comment

Originally posted by Ketchup View Post
                  But what you get for your money is now awful. ...
                  WHS - Driving past a newly built average sized house on my way to clientco, I noticed it is being sold as 5 or 6 separate vertically arranged dwellings, not flats exactly, but each must be as thin and pokey as a drainpipe. None has been sold for several months AFAICS, and is that surprising? Who wants to live one house with several others squashed in like kippers? Horrible.
                  Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                    If the UK rental market was anything like the German one, I'm sure there'd be much less desire to buy. Although my family owns a few places, growing up in Germany has no doubt added to my reluctance to buy.

I found the greatest advantages of renting in Germany to be that you simply have a lot more rights as a tenant, and that you get a lot more stability and little risk of eviction. Also that you're allowed to decorate the place as you see fit, and in most cases keep whatever pets you like. All these things are a huge hassle when renting in the UK.
                    That's why your main home should be bought not rented.

I've had rental agreements that are so restrictive you'd have more freedom in a hotel room. And even if you pay the rent on time every month, if your landlord pisses the money up the wall and fails to pay the mortgage it's you evicted not him.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                      That sort of thing used to work reliably well a decade or more ago. It's gotten a lot more risky since. :-/
                      Indeed. And that's the problem: people have failed to notice that the situation has changed. As I said I should have bought somewhere in the mid 90s - in fact I had the perfect oppurtunity, a flat for £40K (which seems absurd now) that I could have easily sold for £140K 10 years later. But I wanted the freedom etc., so didn't, rather stupidly.

But 10 years later when I was seriously looking, the mortgage interest (which is just as much dead money as rent) would have been double the rent. That would have been a huge mistake: chances are I'd have been stuck in negative equity, and wouldn't have been able to up sticks to find work through the recession. What a nightmare that would have been. I'm so glad I didn't listen to my parents and all the other experts telling me to buy a house as property "always goes up" etc.
                      Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                      X