• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Realistic rates

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sadly not

Originally posted by snaw
    £2000 per month on costs?!?! Where do you live, the Outer Hebrides?
    Nope! Sadly not. If I did I certainly wouldn't go contracting. The figure works out as £1000 for travel, £800 for accom and £200 for subsistence. That's basically assuming running a decent car (or 40p per mile for 2,500 miles per month) and rented accommodation. Possibly a little high, I'll admit, but considering a season ticket to London could clock in at £500pcm not overly I suppose.

Comment

Do what I do - work 10 miles from home...

Older and ...well, just older!!

Comment

If you are one of those guys who's been on the same site for donkeys years I guess that is OK. Most contractors I know have to move around.
        The court heard Darren Upton had written a letter to Judge Sally Cahill QC saying he wasn’t “a typical inmate of prison”.

But the judge said: “That simply demonstrates your arrogance continues. You are typical. Inmates of prison are people who are dishonest. You are a thoroughly dishonestly man motivated by your own selfish greed.”

Comment

Originally posted by Ruprect
          What happened to the Avatar then Joe? was it copyrighted?
          He stole it and his name from the original Joe Black

Shameful behaviour. Ban him.
          Rule #76: No excuses. Play like a champion.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB
            It's not always about the money. Yes, on a decent rate and without extended breaks you will make a lot more as a contractor.

It's not just about that though. You also get to pick and choose where and when you work. You dont have to worry about the office politics, back biting and insecurity of the permie world. No wondering what your going to get in your next pay rise, if you even get one, no performance reviews, no gang bang interviews for a grotty internal promotion.

Look at it that way and suddenly the hassle, such as it is becomes a lot less of an issue.
            We discussed that in the last thread. But you also don't need to worry about office politics, back biting and insecurity even if you are a permie. That is unless you expect to be a corporate climber. I am not, I don't want to be involved in office politics and I do not care if someone is trying to backstab me. I consider a permie job no more than a 2-3 year fixed contract. As long as the salary is good and matches what I can make as contractor then I don't see any reason for preferring a contract. As long as you are aware that no job is for life and everything is temporary in this life, I can't see why one way is better than the other, if not ONLY for the money.
            I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
              We discussed that in the last thread. But you also don't need to worry about office politics, back biting and insecurity even if you are a permie. That is unless you expect to be a corporate climber. I am not, I don't want to be involved in office politics and I do not care if someone is trying to backstab me. I consider a permie job no more than a 2-3 year fixed contract. As long as the salary is good and matches what I can make as contractor then I don't see any reason for preferring a contract. As long as you are aware that no job is for life and everything is temporary in this life, I can't see why one way is better than the other, if not ONLY for the money.
              There are very few permies who can avoid getting mixed up in politics, backstabbing and the ladder. You are lucky if you can.
              There is a certain freedom that comes with contracting and quite often a respect for the status from managers (if not the staff). If you do it right the boss treats you as a sounding board and confident for stuff he cant say to the staff.
              I dont HAVE to do anything that isnt in my contract and can choose how I do the things that are.

It is a mind set and you clearly dont understand.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Originally posted by The Lone Gunman
                There are very few permies who can avoid getting mixed up in politics, backstabbing and the ladder. You are lucky if you can.
                You can always avoid. You just have to keep in mind that your contract will finish after 2-3 years just like it normally happens to a contractor. You can always escape it. Of course, you are not going to climb the ladder but if that's fine for you and you are happy with the rate agreed at the beginning (payrise for me is just inflation adjustment and no more so I don't even bother with that, when I feel like I must be paid more I will just look for another position), I still can't see the difference.
                I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by HarryPearce
                  Nope! Sadly not. If I did I certainly wouldn't go contracting. The figure works out as £1000 for travel, £800 for accom and £200 for subsistence. That's basically assuming running a decent car (or 40p per mile for 2,500 miles per month) and rented accommodation. Possibly a little high, I'll admit, but considering a season ticket to London could clock in at £500pcm not overly I suppose.
                  Might be stating the obvious but what's wrong with getting a job closer to home and cutting out all those extra expenses? I don't pay any additional expenses on top of what I normally would in a full time role (Well unofficially at least). OK I live in London but I don't know anyone who racks up those kind of expenses contracting, and the ones with season tickets put them through the books anyway.
                  Hang on - there is actually a place called Cheddar?? - cailin maith

Any forum is a collection of assorted weirdos, cranks and pervs - Board Game Geek

That will be a simply fab time to catch up for a beer. - Tay

Have you ever seen somebody lick the chutney spoon in an Indian Restaurant and put it back ? - Cyberghoul

Comment

Originally posted by Xenophon
                    He stole it and his name from the original Joe Black

Shameful behaviour. Ban him.
                    Quite. Only upright members are allowed on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by snaw
                      Might be stating the obvious but what's wrong with getting a job closer to home and cutting out all those extra expenses?
                      Mainly that there aren't any!

Comment

Working...
                      X