• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is the point of a dog?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    Non-dog owners never ever understand the point and never will. Until they get one.
    Correct. When I was growing up we always had a dog and they were part of family life.

When I finally got a repeat contract close to a home that was surrounded by fields I got myself a black Lab and it was great training it up. Definitely a working dog and I wouldn't have one in a built up area.

A well trained dog was also a magnet for the ladies when I took it to the pub.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Dogs are great. They have properties that reduce your blood pressure every time you stroke them. And unlike cats they don't decimate the local wildlife + they are better than burglar alarms coz they bite and make a loud nuance of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
        Dogs are great. They have properties that reduce your blood pressure every time you stroke them. And unlike cats they don't decimate the local wildlife + they are better than burglar alarms coz they bite and make a loud nuance of themselves.
        WHS.

But you do need to be prepared to put time into them.

It's like a lot else in life. The more you put into it, the more you get out of it.
        Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I hate my dog. Smelly hairy bastard. Treads mud all over the house. Sleeps on my feet. Comes up for cuddles all the time. Loves me. Fetches things when I throw them. Dotes on my kids.

Grrrr ok I love my dog but she's ******* annoying.

Will miss the hairy bastard when she's gone.
          Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            Some decimation of the local wildlife where I live by some of the neighbours cats (past and present) is very welcome.

The local foxes and squirrels seem to move very fast when certain tom cats are around.

Mind you I like both dogs and cats.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
              Dog owners have a dog to get some love that they did not get from their own children ! Sad really. I just dont see the point.
              When I was about 6, I said "Mummy, I love you nearly as much as I love Fergus". Fergus was our lovely, lovely black lab, remembered mostly fondly, although he did have his moments - memorably jumping through a glass door, and coming in from the garden, retching, and coughing up a rat (thankfully dead).

Comment

I grew up with dogs and if I lived somewhere a bit more rural I would certainly consider a lab or perhaps a dalmatian as a family pet when my youngest is a little older.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
                  Non-dog owners never ever understand the point and never will. Until they get one.
                  I've owned dogs, grew up with them and had some lovely pets over the years.

I prefer cats.
                  "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                    I've owned dogs, grew up with them and had some lovely pets over the years.

I prefer cats.
                    Knew it
                    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

The current Mr SocialWorker was a dog person and had Labs and flat coated retrievers most of his life, won gundog competitions etc. When he came to live with me and my cat, he was amazed what a complex, intelligent and affectionate critter a cat can be. It is quite possible to like both cats and dogs, it just takes the nouse to realise that they are just different.

Comment

Working...
                      X