• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

“no limit” on the number of Indian nationals who can come to study & work" -Cameron

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    There are no official stats I am afraid, if there was I would think the media would kick up a fuss. My comments were based off what I heard from some guys living in places like Southall, Ilford etc. They have hired maids for 4£ an hour and when I told them it was illegal not to pay NMW they were not bothered because they were doing work illegally anyway.
    Anecdotes do not constitute evidence.
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
      Oh you are tiresome sometimes. This is the age of fact-free politics, mindless conjecture by those who don't know what 'conjecture' means, 140 character 'opinions' formed while typing and 'reality TV' with celebrities who are famous for nothing other than being famous.

Get with it man, evidence is so 1950s.
      I'm stubborn like that. I don't believe the first thing someone tells me to believe.
      Hard Brexit now!
      #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
        Again lots of assertions apparently pulled out of thin air. Where's the data, facts, evidence?
        actually i did a masters recently full time for 12 months as a mature student (got top marks too )

i was student union rep

i saw first hand the large numbers of (mainly indian and chinese students doing this trick) failing a single module on purpose in order to get a visa extended for 12 months with minimal course fees due. there are hundreds doing it in the one uni i saw first hand.

i am surprised anyone who has done a masters recently wouldnt acknowledge this is going on...

to say nothing of their obvious plagerism and so on (but once they get a british post grad they have a legit qualification right?)

it would be funny if it was not so serious

Comment

It's a bit like Global Warming, there's no evidence, but we all know it's happening.

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post
            actually i did a masters recently full time for 12 months as a mature student (got top marks too )

i was student union rep

i saw first hand the large numbers of (mainly indian and chinese students doing this trick) failing a single module on purpose in order to get a visa extended for 12 months with minimal course fees due. there are hundreds doing it in the one uni i saw first hand.

i am surprised anyone who has done a masters recently wouldnt acknowledge this is going on...

to say nothing of their obvious plagerism and so on (but once they get a british post grad they have a legit qualification right?)

You did a Masters? What in?
            Judging by your grammar and spelling, are you sure you're not one of these fake students?
            You do understand why anecdotes don't constitute evidence, don't you?
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
              It's a bit like Global Warming, there's no evidence, but we all know it's happening.
              So I conclude you're talking out of yer arse. Again.
              Hard Brexit now!
              #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by CoolCat View Post

i was student union rep

My other half lectures at the mid to bottom end of the league table. I can assure you that people don't normally fail on purpose, they fail on incompetence. There is a lot of pressure on academic staff to achieve high pass rates. If there's evidence of someone's capability they'll be pulled through. This applies particularly to the Indian students, as their English skills are generally sufficient to find something passable within their essays and exam answers. The small percentage that lecturers are allowed to fail are generally reserved for the Chinese - many of them basically don't have sufficient English skills to understand let alone answer the tasks they're given.

There is indeed an issue with (some/many) universities letting quite literally any non-UK/EU student in - they're just more profitable than UK/EU students. There is less of an issue with those then "cheating" their way to permanent residence - so in that I second people's demand for evidence/stats.

I've done a pretty exclusive MSc in a bob-free subject at a top-10 university, so I can't say I can confirm your observations for that end of the league table either. That wasn't particularly long ago either.
                Last edited by formant; 14 February 2013, 12:03.

Comment

Fark me I can see why the country is going to the dogs.
                  Forget the scapegoat immigrants, the locals can't think logically, spell or write grammatically, even ones with Masters degrees.
                  Would be funny if it wasn't so serious.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    Fark me I can see why the country is going to the dogs.
                    Originally posted by cojak View Post
                    Anymore trying to beat the swear filter and you'll be banned.

Seriously.
                    HTH
                    How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                      HTH
                      Far cough you can't

Comment

Working...
                      X