• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women in combat roles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
    Training is just that though training and when you face people who can torture without conscience or fear of reprisal then you're totally fooked, so what if some squaddie urinated over a few POW's the fact of the matter is given the reverse he would no doubt tortured to death.

During the conflict in the Balkans male soldiers were raped and consequently contracted HIV from it, not sure if this received any public attention though.
    I do agree with your comments on training and public awareness of the reality of war.

Just one of those things, I asked a lot of questions and tried to put myself in his shoes. But if you haven't walked the walk and saw life through their eyes, really its all academic.... I've seen a normal, full functioning, social man fall to absolute pieces on occassion over the most irrelevant thing, physically crumble. PTSD and the reality of war is often overlooked...

But thats enough from me on this topic!

Comment

Originally posted by Dallas View Post
      That scene in GI Jane (yes whatever - cr@p film) where towards the end he attempts to rape her

shudder
      Wife loves that film.
      Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

There is only one reason to have a military and that is to win. Everything else is just fluff. So would an army with women in the front line win more, or would they win less.
        All other things being equal, would you rather be facing the Iraqis, Chinese, Algerians ,Americans, Gurkhas ?

It does matter. some enemies are ferocious and some are pussies.

If the enemy was female, which way would that balance be shifted ?

Then you have to look at the history. Female combat units have been formed before, the Russians had a few battalions as did the Zulus, but they were for propaganda, not for fighting. The Israelis had some female combatants, and a battalion of female infantry, but I am not sure if they are still in service

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
          Then you have to look at the history. Female combat units have been formed before, the Russians had a few battalions as did the Zulus, but they were for propaganda, not for fighting. The Israelis had some female combatants, and a battalion of female infantry, but I am not sure if they are still in service
          Don't jump down my throat but didn't the Russians also have some female snipers and tank operatives?
          "He's actually ripped" - Jared Padalecki

https://youtu.be/l-PUnsCL590?list=PL...dNeCyi9a&t=615

Comment

Originally posted by MyUserName View Post
            Don't jump down my throat but didn't the Russians also have some female snipers and tank operatives?
            probably. If you try hard enough, you will be able to find examples and exceptions everywhere, like the females who served as gunners on HMS Victory, disguised as men.

My point is, if this is to be a sytematic decision, what will be the effect on morale ?
            If I was in fear of my life, I want the guy on the other side to be a pussey and so rubbish that he will run or surrender or miss. Even if he is not a pussey, all that matters is that I think he is

(\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post
              My point is, if this is to be a sytematic decision, what will be the effect on morale ?
              If I was in fear of my life, I want the guy on the other side to be a pussey and so rubbish that he will run or surrender or miss. Even if he is not a pussey, all that matters is that I think he is
              Don't get me wrong, I was not arguing with you. I actually agree. I was asking purely out of interest.

Comment

You do see this in kid's football. Stick a girl in the team, and none of the lads will attack her wholeheartedly. Maybe it's the blokes that are soft!

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                  You do see this in kid's football. Stick a girl in the team, and none of the lads will attack her wholeheartedly. Maybe it's the blokes that are soft!
                  Now if it had been rugby they would've all been fighting each other to tackle her lol
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
                    Watch this in hockey. Put a boy on the team and the girls try to break his ******* neck.

We played mixed hockey for exactly 2 PE lessons before it got cancelled, both ended with trips to hospital - one requiring eye surgery.

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                      Now if it had been rugby they would've all been fighting each other to tackle her lol
                      She would have been exposed to some tackles, no doubt!

Comment

Working...
                      X