• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The trouble with Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chef View Post
    Just curious Cojak, why?
    They want us to lose our residence status in Euroland so we have to return to GB and sort out their banking systems. Dodgy's vested interest in this is obvious, but what Cojak stands to gain is a mystery to me.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
      If Britain is prepared to go Nuclear on europe just watch the parasite bureaucrats fall over themselves to keep britain in.
      WDAS. We're better off out.
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
        They want us to lose our residence status in Euroland so we have to return to GB and sort out their banking systems. Dodgy's vested interest in this is obvious, but what Cojak stands to gain is a mystery to me.
        Whooooa hold on there just one second. If the UK vote to leave the EU then my residency status here on the mainland comes into question!! Holy shiiiiiiiit, time to hurry up and marry Gf chef then.

F€&@in Island Monkeys always trying to mess in my private life.
        The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          Whooooa hold on there just one second. If the UK vote to leave the EU then my residency status here on the mainland comes into question!! Holy shiiiiiiiit, time to hurry up and marry Gf chef then.

F€&@in Island Monkeys always trying to mess in my private life.
          Indeed. And there are a hell of a lot of us in the same boat. Brits worrying about immigration ain't seen nothing yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Indeed. And there are a hell of a lot of us in the same boat. Brits worrying about immigration ain't seen nothing yet.
            Oh dear, all those British-born mainland contractors - they're coming to steal our jobs!

Comment

I work with a few Yanks here and when comes to residency they say they'd never hand in their US passports and become residents of another country is it the same for the Brits then? If so why is this?
              In Scooter we trust

Comment

Originally posted by The Spartan View Post
                I work with a few Yanks here and when comes to residency they say they'd never hand in their US passports and become residents of another country is it the same for the Brits then? If so why is this?
                Which is odd as they pay USA tax on their worldwide tax.

Comment

Well you may be asking the wrong kind of people. Anyone who's not just working but settled and married in another country will be much more likely to apply for a local passport at the expense of their existing one. I know several Americans who've done just that.

I'd give up my German passport without hesitation if necessary as I have no intentions of returning to Germany. But as long as the UK stays in the EU (which I don't see changing), I could have both anyway. So the only reason I haven't bothered with a UK passport yet is because I'd have nothing to gain from it currently.
                  Last edited by formant; 24 January 2013, 09:20.

Comment

I don't mind taking Dutch nationality but I won't give up British nationality for a very simple reason; my parents and other close family live in Britain, my parents are getting older, and I want to be absolutely certain that if they need me, for instance when/if their health declines, that I can return to Britain, especially if Britain's out of the EU at some time in the future. Same applies to a lot of migrants all over the world.

Comment

Originally posted by formant View Post
                      Well you may be asking the wrong kind of people. Anyone who's not just working but settled and married in another country will be much more likely to apply for a local passport at the expense of their existing one. I know several Americans who've done just that.

I'd give up my German passport without hesitation if necessary as I have no intentions of returning to Germany. But as long as the UK stays in the EU (which I don't see changing), I could have both anyway. So the only reason I haven't bothered with a UK passport yet is because I'd have nothing to gain from it currently.
                      Possibly but it's an American company and everyone I have asked looks at me like I have two heads when I ask them, I guess they truly believe that the USA is the greatest country on Earth.
                      In Scooter we trust

Comment

Working...
                      X